Opinion on new cobra tires

any insight on prep they like? same as maxxis prep?
FWIW I had a friend that ran them for some indoor back in January and he said he had to prep them more aggressively than he does his maxxis, but he also thought the track needed a lot of bite. He finished second on them in both stock predator heavy and AKRA clone heavy.

My latest set punched 60/62 with nothing but a 220 crosshatch with the belt sander. Nothing internal did give them a wipe of Trac Tac Orange. Ran them at 8 and 7. They seem to get better as you cycle them.

I think as far as duro readings you're going to get many different readings depending on the duro a guy is using and how old/type/calibration. My new digital duro was used to check our new set out of the wrapper last week when we bolted the Cobras on and they were punching about 54-55. With a heat cycle and a wipe of Black sand had them at 52. Very decent tire for the money!

Are you trading the vegas in for cobras?
No, but its looking like a Cobra series will be here next year and I want to test as much as I can now. We went to a track that allows Cobras and Burris last week. Cobras were fast early, Burris smoked em later. We had no Burris lol.
2 weeks ago I softened up a set of Cobras to match our soft Vegas and the kid said they didn’t have enough grip after the heat, so we switched back to Vegas.

No, but its looking like a Cobra series will be here next year and I want to test as much as I can now. We went to a track that allows Cobras and Burris last week. Cobras were fast early, Burris smoked em later. We had no Burris lol.
2 weeks ago I softened up a set of Cobras to match our soft Vegas and the kid said they didn’t have enough grip after the heat, so we switched back to Vegas.
Similar to this, I have had pretty good success running cobras in our heats, and maxxis come feature time. Something with the cobras just seems to keep em too soft for my liking.

We dominated a double header day here at a very fast track in Florida on them and then the following weekend they were terrible. Had plenty of rubber left on them and kart setup hadn't changed a bit. Put our Maxxis back on and went to the front! I'm not sure if they are just "one and done" tires or if its something else. I have another new set I plan to try here after we get through the world 100 weekend!

Back