Opinion on rookie kart tires

kart49

Curous on rookie kids tires 7 year old running beginners class . Dirt oval Any advantage to running 6in right side compared to 9in on right

Answer is MAYBE. (No offense Ken, not every place is like PA - hear me out...)

On a big momentum track with no fixed gear ratio AND you're able to get the max tire size (given there even is one,) the narrower wheels and tires will be an advantage. On smaller tracks you'll likely see no difference or can even be worse so you'd be better off going with the standard big rights and getting your driver used to how the car handles with that set-up on the car.
Also, IF you're on treads with limited HP, then definitely go small on tires. The larger treads are for 25+HP.
We've had a TON of success (from kids to adults) with our customers running smaller size treads on the right sides where allowed.

LOTS of "IFs" because we do not know the rules for "rookie" class at your track, what engine package, restrictor plate, etc etc.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Answer is MAYBE. (No offense Ken, not every place is like PA - hear me out...)

On a big momentum track with no fixed gear ratio AND you're able to get the max tire size (given there even is one,) the narrower wheels and tires will be an advantage. On smaller tracks you'll likely see no difference or can even be worse so you'd be better off going with the standard big rights and getting your driver used to how the car handles with that set-up on the car.
Also, IF you're on treads with limited HP, then definitely go small on tires. The larger treads are for 25+HP.
We've had a TON of success (from kids to adults) with our customers running smaller size treads on the right sides where allowed.

LOTS of "IFs" because we do not know the rules for "rookie" class at your track, what engine package, restrictor plate, etc etc.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
No offense taken, but ya still not buying it, I agree with the smaller size treads even with no experience with treads. I can see that helping, but that's not just because of narrower wheels, The only times ( which weren't many ) I've see narrower wheels SEEM faster is when tried in pre rookie with a kid racing READY to go fast, racing against the rest of the field NOT READY to go fast, and yes of course that kart won by a wide margin, but all the credit for the speed got applied to the narrower wheels. OR if talent level was equal with a few the guy's running narrower wheels were just better with tires, VS guy's on wider wheels being out to lunch. WE run some big momentum ( drafting ) tracks for karts with NO fixed gear ratio, like Trailways, Baps, Lincoln ( this year ) The cream of the crop in every class all on wider wheels on right sides using standard 6.5" LF , 8.5" LR , 10" on rights, If you or anyone else for that matter show up with narrow wheels your not beating them just because of that fact. No not every track is like racing Pa but big momentum track is just that a big momentum track, and guy's winning with narrower wheels is more credited to set up, tires being right, on the right gearing, and with a driver that's understands momentum, and if rookies driver is ready to go fast, has nothing to do with the narrower wheels alone being an advantage. I should have added a clause to my response provided the rest of the competition on wider wheels are experienced crews and drivers though.

No offense taken, but ya still not buying it, I agree with the smaller size treads even with no experience with treads. I can see that helping, but that's not just because of narrower wheels, The only times ( which weren't many ) I've see narrower wheels SEEM faster is when tried in pre rookie with a kid racing READY to go fast, racing against the rest of the field NOT READY to go fast, and yes of course that kart won by a wide margin, but all the credit for the speed got applied to the narrower wheels. OR if talent level was equal with a few the guy's running narrower wheels were just better with tires, VS guy's on wider wheels being out to lunch. WE run some big momentum ( drafting ) tracks for karts with NO fixed gear ratio, like Trailways, Baps, Lincoln ( this year ) The cream of the crop in every class all on wider wheels on right sides using standard 6.5" LF , 8.5" LR , 10" on rights, If you or anyone else for that matter show up with narrow wheels your not beating them just because of that fact. No not every track is like racing Pa but big momentum track is just that a big momentum track, and guy's winning with narrower wheels is more credited to set up, tires being right, on the right gearing, and with a driver that's understands momentum, and if rookies driver is ready to go fast, has nothing to do with the narrower wheels alone being an advantage. I should have added a clause to my response provided the rest of the competition on wider wheels are experienced crews and drivers though.
I sent wheels and tires to some of those races. All wide wheels for all adult classes. No kid kart or rookie classes with limited HP or fixed gear ratios, so I can't say how they would have done with smaller wheels and tires.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Treads have a whole different set of parameters.
I have no idea what the OP is running or asking about, which is why I gave a more broad answer to his question and a list of "What-ifs.". There is rarely a one-size-fits-all answer in karting.
Respectfully, Brian

So there's no confusion with what I'm saying to the OP, NO there is no automatic advantage to running narrower wheels.
I'll leave it at that as not to take this thread off the rails.

Good Luck !!

Sorry, maybe it is my misunderstanding as well -- I thought the OP was asking about narrower TIRES for the right sides (ie 6" wide on the rights rather than the 9's typically run on the right sides.)

OP, provide us with some more info and we'll try again. :)

Sorry, maybe it is my misunderstanding as well -- I thought the OP was asking about narrower TIRES for the right sides (ie 6" wide on the rights rather than the 9's typically run on the right sides.)

OP, provide us with some more info and we'll try again. :)
I was asking if advantage for 7 year old rookie class running 6in rs tires sat on 8 or 8.25 rims compared to say 9in on 10 in rim.

Back