opinion

Jim46

is a K&N filter really better . I think on a dusty track you should use the largest air filter possible - it slows down the air and lets the dirt collect

Get a larger K&N then. You didn't mention what filter material the largest was made from or what micron size it would be rated at. I reality dirt particles under a certain size don't seem to have a big impact on wear rates. IMHO bigger is better in air filters regardless of how good a filter they air.

Yes, they are really better, but it is up to you decide if it is worth to pay the extra money. It is has been proved on dynos and flow benches that different filters can affect power and performance.

If you are referring to a K&N name brand filter to a Chinese knock off of a K&N i don't believe you will find much difference in performance. but a K&N vs a paper filter or a foam filter then yes there is a difference although i have never seen any of those types available

I guarantee you there is a big difference between a K&N and most other filters out there, but sometimes it is hard to pay all that money for a filter, though it is much better to have a good one well taken care off and regularly clean than a bunch of low quality ones restricting the air flow.

other than the chrome top option what is different between the two? ? i have had several real K&N filters and can't realty tell the difference. how does the real deal flow better?

I guarantee you there is a big difference between a K&N and most other filters out there, but sometimes it is hard to pay all that money for a filter, though it is much better to have a good one well taken care off and regularly clean than a bunch of low quality ones restricting the air flow.
I'd put EC's filters up against K&n, his best are expensive but well worth it

Yes, Ec's are great too. The main difference between a good filter and a bad one is not on the chrome, but the fabric or material that filters the air. A good filter allow the highest flow but at the same time doesn't allow any foreign particles get inside the engine.

Yes, Ec's are great too. The main difference between a good filter and a bad one is not on the chrome, but the fabric or material that filters the air. A good filter allow the highest flow but at the same time doesn't allow any foreign particles get inside the engine.
E.C. shared that story here or the old site, when he wrote his thread once a month or what ever it was.
He invented the filter, and K^N moved to patent it first.
That wasn't the only thing he invented that still used today, but he got no credit.
I agree, it's about the material

none of those gauze/screen filters work at stoping dust unless they are sprayed with filter oil, pre filter or not. A lot of people neglect that step. they also need to be washed on a regular basis or they don't flow because they are clogged with dirt.

none of those gauze/screen filters work at stoping dust unless they are sprayed with filter oil, pre filter or not. A lot of people neglect that step. they also need to be washed on a regular basis or they don't flow because they are clogged with dirt.
I bought mid priced filters, washed in the dish washer, sprayed with oil, sat aside to cure.
Start wish a fresh one, maybe change once a night.
Op.
Buy the best you can afford and keep them clean.
You are correct in slowing down the air through the filter, but not for filtration.
Slow the air so the engine can get all the air it can take.
Almost the same principle as a f1 snorkel

I never thought about using a dishwasher, unless you mean human powered dishwasher lol! I use an Ultrasonic cleaner for filters, chain, bearings etc.

We started running Walkers this year instead of generic mid priced filters and immediately noticed how much cleaner the carb intake areas were. And that was when we were changing the cheaper filters after practice, heats and mains.

I would personally avoid cleaning bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner. The idea of the balls and races vibrating together at 40khz has always made me a bit uneasy. I've cleaned bearings I was going to throw away in an ultrasonic before, and they seem to "lock up" after a few minutes in there.

I clean bearings in hot water and Dawn dish soap, and never spin them with the air hose when drying. Then get oil on them asap after that.

My opinion only ... (which can be combined with about $4 to get :coffee: at Starbucks). LOL!

PM

K&N or an UNI two stage foam filter on a two cycle. The walkers are no different from a K&N in terms of filter element and if they do offer an advantage it’s the way they’re mounted on a clone, not a smoker. They all do the same thing if you’re regularly cleaning and oiling them. If you have dust on the bowl with any filter you’re not replacing, cleaning and oiling it enough.

Back