Opinions about tires

Does anyone else wish the whole tire prep thing would just go away and you ran tires just like 20 years ago
Whether it's cost, availability, or the reason the race was won / lost tires are a big part of dirt karting.

To answer your question no, I don't wish prep would go away. It would drive my costs up to remain at the same competitive level.

Why would you want it to go away?

Think about it though. There are so many tire programs out there that are competitive and so many user firneldy preps with directions to easily make you competitive and have winning tires at a local level. Everyone acts like they cant prep like the top guys at the local track...YES YOU CAN. Choose a program, stick with it, follow directions and try stuff. It isn't that hard to have fast tires. I got a gallon of each prep I needed this winter and it cost around 400 I think. That last the whole year. A clone cost 1000-1500. Most people own clones but cry about tire prep cost's. Motors are way more than tire prep. The issue isn't tire prep. Its people buying takeoffs and expecting to set the world on fire with them. Get on a decent program and it will make a big change for your karting program.

Does anyone else wish the whole tire prep thing would just go away and you ran tires just like 20 years ago
Every time I hear this statement I shake my head. People think what's holding them back is the prep game. the understanding is that your set up is better, your gearing is better, your driving is better. it's just that dag gum prep that's holding you back. I hate to burst your bubble but the top runners have all those things figured out AND PREP. the tide will not change in your favor you will not find yourself in the winners circle and the current hot shots in the back of the pack. This fantasy is a waste of time. you will need to learn the prep thing. Racing is not as easy as you want to believe it is. i know it's harsh but its the truth

30 years ago, prep was still being done, just not on the commercial level of today.

Information was whispered exchanges. Information was close to impossible to get, then verify.
I dont like prep for the expense and health risks, but it is easier to get on a program that will get you in the ball park

20 years ago I was soaking old cut up bath towels in xylene, toluene and thinner with my bare hands then wrapping the towels around my tires :unsure:

Heck 20+ years ago we were wiping diesel fuel and WD40 on tires. Prep has always been a part of racing and almost impossible to police.

I've got mixed feelings. I see the benefit of prep as well as the down side.
Don't get me wrong, I make some money on preps, but I wish it could all go away. But that really isn't a reality, and as long as one competitor is using prep then we all should be allowed to.
Make no mistake, the same guys winning on prep now will be winning without prep. Trust me, they are not winning using prep as a crutch -- their set-ups are spot on BEFORE they work their tires.
The other thing that a no-prep rule does is force most folks to run new tires every time the car hits the track to be competitive. That will cost everyone more money than we're spending now on preps.

It is what it is at this point. Learn it the best you can and deal with it.
Prepping tires does not have to be difficult. There are many prep lines that are simple and effective. We offer just one of those many prep lines. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back