Opinions on Ford 6.4 powerstroke

woodhog

I`m looking at a F450 with a 6.4. I know there was a lot of issues with the 6.0, but have not heard much on the 6.4.
I had an `03 duramax that had injector issues, and have been looking for another diesel. I currently have a Dodge 2500 with a hemi.

Thanks for any info.

Delete the emmisions stuff and run a mild tune. Great trucks after that mileage wise. Depending on the miles may affect the price and such.

my powerstroke don't get very good mileage either. What are y'all looking at for mileage with the 6.4?

None of the diesels made after they had to have particulate filters (which require the fuel fired "afterburner" cycle to clean) get as good mileage as those that went before particulate filters, so it's not just the 6.4s. There are various modifications, some onroad legal, some not (from the EPA's viewpoint) that can improve the fuel mileage of any of the Big Three's diesels. For economy, decide what you want to change, keep or delete in the intake and exhaust systems, then add a tuner. Here in PA we can get away with deleting about anything in the exhaust system (there doesn't have to actually be anything inside that particulate filter canister, nor does that fuel line actually have to supply fuel to it), but you will need a tuner to make the ECU think certain parts are still there.... And you are certainly playing fast and loose with the emission regs when you start deleting or emptying the particulate filter canistor. :)

I don't know how much the ford gets, but I love my cummins dodge 1 ton truck 24mpg or so.. a little less around town, compared to my 10 mpg on my dodge V10 3/4 ton.. and it will pull anything..

I had the 6.4 .It was a power house and pulled like a train but the fuel mileage was about 14. I went with a tuner and got 19 empty and about 14 towing a 24 ft race trailer. I had a edge programmer on mine.I'll be honest with you I'd rather have a ford ecoboost then a diesel.These things pull like a diesel with out all the added cost of a diesel. My friend has a ecoboost and a 18 ft trailer and it pulls almost as good as a diesel and averages about 12 mpg towing and around 20 empty.

Thanks for the repies. An eco boost will be too small for me. We are moving from karts to full size sprint cars, and we are getting a bigger trailer, and will have a lot of weight with the car, all the spares, and a 4 wheeler in the trailer.

Save up a little more money and buy a 6.7. Way better engine. I would never even consider a 6.4. The later 6.0 are ok also.just don't buy a early 6.0 either.

pull up tfltruck on youtube and watch the ecoboost pull the ike gauntlet with a 10000 pound load. It out pulled and out ran chevys newest and biggest gas motor and at 2000 rpm less to boot..If you have never driven or pulled a load with one of these you need to you'll be amazed. My friend pulls a race car and all his stuff needed and it does great..You may need to carry more as you said and need a diesel but these ecoboost fords are simply amazing.

Keep in mind it doesn't take long to accumulate weight. Our 24' pace for a dirt late model weighs 11000lb loaded and its a standard height trailer. an ecoboost may pull it but the same model year diesel will do it better. My 7.3 is right at 400hp to the ground. Pulls the 24' trailer exceptionally. Also do agree with the above, if you can swing a 6.7 ford do it. Much more reliable.

Forgot to mention the other day is the f450 more then likely has 4:30 or 4:56 gears. If your towing a lot of interstate you'd really want 4:10 or 3:73s

If you delete it and put a good tuner like an sct or a spartian it will be okay. The dpf regeneration kills that engine. It is a very strong engine once you get all the garbage off it. I personably would rather have a 6.4 over a 6.7. The 6.7 has no power and they explode. Jmo.

They had a bad run of valves in the cab and chassis trucks. They had a few tuned sling rods due to low end fueling and some turbos break but there are easy solutions to that. Stock the mileage is decent even with the emmisions intact and they have great power. I'd love to have a 15 eventually. Going to be very stout trucks for sure.

Back