Option Flathead vs Animal

ShaneRedline

Question guys

Next season, we are moving to a class and have the option to run a flathead or a gold plate animal. What will be a more competitive engine?

Ty for the replies

Animal. There is no other choice. Less maintenance. More fun to drive. More torque. OHV vs. flathead? They quit putting those in cars in the middle of the last century.

Sorry Shane but you will get a medley of answers and opinions here for this question . that's why the "popcorn reply" I am a flathead guy just love em !! My Open flathead Briggs is going to be ready next week . and it will be racing against Open clones animals and other flatheads . I will let you know how I do .

Gold is not gold. Animal single hole is .505, Flathead single hole is .575, Animal 3 hole is .312, I don't think they make a 3 hole flathead gold. If the plate's were the same, advantage Animal. With different size plates it could be close.

Wow this had to be a play on words for me ,,,or I just read the word "option" as "open" assuming this was a thread about Open engines LOL !!!

I think he is asking about a unrestricted stock class flathead vs an animal choked down with a gold plate. My opinion is go animal, but some track configurations may benefit the flatty.

It would depend upon my current inventory of engines- if I already had the flatheads and no animals, I might try it until I could afford an animal. All things considered, the bottom end torque of the animal is unmatched. This especially comes into play on restarts and if your momentum is broken during the race, you can recover much faster. If your track is a flat-out high speed affair, flatheads are available pretty cheap nowadays since few tracks run them anymore.

Back