Out of fuel

Noob question: We ran a 2 cycle engine out of fuel. Being that the oil and gas comes from the same tank how do we handle cranking the engine after refueling it? Do I need to be concerned about sticking the piston due to lack of lubrication? Motor currently spins fine and doesn't make funny noises.

It should be no problem . You could always give it a shot of oil through the plug .
Mix the next bit of fuel rich .
Once it out of fuel all functions stop , so it doesn't actually run with out lubrication .
Also a good reason to use high quality oil .
Residual lubrication .

You shouldn't have any problem unless you stuck the piston when running out of fuel, which used to happen very often when running direct drives at high rpm. No gas no lubrication, running at something between 18,000 to 21,000 rpms and suddenly running out of gas was no good. By thw way, are you gonna be at Roebling road this weekend?

Fuel will have to go all through the engine before it fires so it will be just fine and well lubed at start up.

Thank you Rainman. Always good to talk with you. My team is so impressed that I know a karting celebrity.

We refueled the Rotax and it fired right up. Took 1st place at Roebling Road.
A Karting what? Lol. I am nobody, especially here in the states. Just walk around the pits at any Road Race. My only accomplishment when compared to others is that i have raced at around 500 tracks but other than that... Glad you took 1st place.

A Karting what? Lol. I am nobody, especially here in the states. Just walk around the pits at any Road Race. My only accomplishment when compared to others is that i have raced at around 500 tracks but other than that... Glad you took 1st place.
You don't have to always run up front to be a legend. You have lots of experience and are always willing to share what you have learned by helping others. That makes you a legend in my book too! Folks like you are the good part of karting that makes me enjoy participating in it.

You don't have to always run up front to be a legend. You have lots of experience and are always willing to share what you have learned by helping others. That makes you a legend in my book too! Folks like you are the good part of karting that makes me enjoy participating in it.
That's very nice of you. I have run upfront, especially on dirt or sprint tracks, but there is a point when I was more competitive that started to be like a war instead of getting along with everyone like I have always done, and i do prefer not being so competitive but helping anyone like people has helped me through the years too.

Back