Outside question

Late8Racer

Curious to know. On big cars we wrap the tires in a blue thin rag then shrink wrap them before putting on a rotisserie. I’m assuming the dry time changes from the amounts of oils and solvents in the prep. Here’s my question. I’ve only had one prep ever leave a sticky residue on the sidewall of the tire from where it drips out of the blue rag during the wrapping process. Is this due to not many chemicals being able to produce that sticky residue? I’ve used sticky preps in the past but they always almost “clog the pores” of the tire and the tires only good for a short run. The particular one I’m talking about does not come out of the tire! This is on asphalt stuff. Do you guys recommend a single person or a few that would be good with pavement stuff? I’ve used multiple tt items and they just weren’t quite as good as the super stinky concoctions that we have used. Thanks!

Most good preps dont have that "sticky" to them because it picks up residue (dirt, dust, marbles, etc. ) off the track thereby reducing the grip level of the tire. Theres some very good preps that make lots of "bite", very good grip without that sticky feeling.
My SoCo Bite in a can has been having very good success on the asphalt, or SoCo Race Car Outside has been working well with the car guys.

"Sticky" could be caused by different things as well. Applying some preps too heavily can make the tire greasy, and or, sticky also.
On a big car, I wouldn't be worried about the tire being sticky as long as it cleans itself while it is on the track.
Pavement tires pick up tons of junk when they're hot and you pull out of the clean racing line. It doesn't matter if the tires have prep in them or not - they'll do that. When they're in the racing line though, the tires should be clean and shedding rubber, not picking it up. That's the key for me.
The "super stinky concoctions" that you mention, probably have goat in them (mothball smell.) There is a time and a place for it (to soften quickly, rock hard spec tires, etc) but just a good conditioning oil would work well if you don't need to knock the duro down a bunch.

We've got three products that the big car guys gravitate towards.
- Pink Panther is our most popular. We use it mainly internal on karts, and it can be used internally on big car tires as well, but it can also be used externally. It works best outside if it can be needled in.
- Medium Rare is another good internal that can also be used externally. It won't drop the duro much, but really helps at adding oils back into the tire and keeping the tires clean while on the track. It will also help reduce tire temperatures over longer runs which is beneficial to pavement racers.
- Then there's our Street & Strip Golden Grip -- that's your typical goat based prep that you are probably familiar with the foul smell - works great to knock the duro down, but doesn't put much oil back in the tires.
Some folks mix this with our Pink Panther 50/50 if they are trying to re-run used tires that have several heat cycles on them. The Pink Panther will help put some oils back in the tire that are depleted with the Golden Grip and heat cycles.

We've had plenty of success with our preps used on big cars (dirt and pavement.)
If you have any questions on our product line, please feel free to give us a call at the shop during business hours Mon-Thurs 8-6edt.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back