Outside tire prep?

So we’ve raced 7 Red Plate races. We’re quick, but it’s still red plate so I can’t really base that on much.

I’m struggling to understand the track and tires.

So we wipe prep on weekly, and sometimes at the track. Does the prep burn off?

My tire chemical guy said to wipe Tuesday and Thursday, then after each run. Then a guy told me at a race not to wipe my tires, he said he won the last two races at that track and pointed out the dust kicking up off the track. He said just clean them and let them dry.

The next race a friend has me wiping some sort of “bite” in the tire

I still pretty confused on what is grip from soft tires and what exactly “Bite” so that we wipe on chemically.

Little man just jumps off the kart and
says “It’s Good”.

I will say no one has steered us wrong, all advice has improved performance. I just don’t seem to see the things they’re seeing. All I’ve seemed to figure out is track works in, we go up in air pressure.

I’ve heard you can get too much prep in a tire and make it slow

Last edited:
I know most of you run dirt track but we (my buddy's two kids ) run asphalt or just the hard stuff and decided to try prepping inside for the first time with our homebuilt hotbox to go race a 1/5 mile track that had sealer on it and it didn't end well. We started out with a new Vega yellow (rr) and by feature time that tire was feathered better than Farrah Fawsett's hair and was totaly wrecked . Still learning about tire prep inside and out like everything it comes down to experience by doing and learning from mistakes.

Insanity wet, South Carolina Clay, tracks are generally wet using a like 40-45 duro tire, scythe.
Warrior Creek, most times there thats not nearly soft enough, and at times its still a bit too hard for there.
Sugar Tit thats about good on duro for red plate, and that prep works early on in the night, but then you need to go to more of a bite prep, daytime racing thats the wrong prep.
Not sure what other tracks you are going to.
It takes experience to determine what tire should be on at a certain time, what to wipe, amount to wipe, and when to wipe, if wiping at all. Internal and the amount is important.

Pick one tire guy/prep line, and stick with it.
Many may work, but you will not know which worked, and why, if you keep trying a little bit of this and that.
Having the right internal is critical (yes, even in red plate.)
Having the right amount of bite in the tire is made even more important by the higher air you're running in small plate classes.
We typically go up on air for low HP classes to aid in roll speed, and add chemical outside to put bite in the tires so that you still have sidebite.
Yes, you can lock the car down with too much prep = slower.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have a question about Tire Prep. I am from New Zealand where I can't get any kind of tire prep due to shipping constraints. I have tried all the homemade recipes 1/3 of this and a 1/3 of that but they just seem to leave the tire greasy with no bite to it? I have rolled my tires on a rotisserie with xylene, toluene, and ATF for 3 hours which does soften them but they have no bite? How do I add bite to them?

I have a question about Tire Prep. I am from New Zealand where I can't get any kind of tire prep due to shipping constraints. I have tried all the homemade recipes 1/3 of this and a 1/3 of that but they just seem to leave the tire greasy with no bite to it? I have rolled my tires on a rotisserie with xylene, toluene, and ATF for 3 hours which does soften them but they have no bite? How do I add bite to them?
Just because they don't feel sticky, does not mean there not adding Bite.

I think the trans sealer added to the mixes adds bite.

If you are rolling externally, 3 hrs. is way too long of a time.
Rolling externally, unless trying to really soften them, you would do shorter time. Example ,maybe roll a set for 15 minutes, then maybe another for 30 minutes, and maybe another for 45 minutes. Gives you multiple options, but if only using 1 set, start using 15 minute increments.

If you are rolling externally, 3 hrs. is way too long of a time.
Rolling externally, unless trying to really soften them, you would do shorter time. Example ,maybe roll a set for 15 minutes, then maybe another for 30 minutes, and maybe another for 45 minutes. Gives you multiple options, but if only using 1 set, start using 15 minute increments.
Fantastic. Thanks for the advice. Next is I need to find out how to add bite??

Murdock , if you are inside rolling wait 2 or 3 weeks to see the effect , inside rolling stays with the tire longer

Back