Over prepping tires

bullerman

How would you know you have overprepped your tires? I have Vegas punching around 35. Kart didn't handle well this weekend. First time I have ran it. 2008 Laser. Front end felt light or like it didn't have any weight on it. Had 45.2 front 57.4 left and 60.5 cross. Just wondering about the tires.

When Your either locked down dead butt slow, or kart is scatting around.
45 nose is most likely low bump it to at least 46, what are your cambers.

12rf and 10 lf I definitely would say I wasn't locked down. Steering felt like front end was riding around. Just didn feel like it had any grip even going slow. Felt like I could steer it with one foner if that makes sense. I and definitely going to up the nose weight.

Did the front react on track NO push ? you don't want a lot of wheel input on a kart ( good set up kart pretty much drives itself ), by 12 & 10 I assume you mean caster, If it's reacting and you just want to feel a heavier wheel change it to 10 & 13.

I heard in a TracTac seminar you know there over prepped when you thump them and they sound like an over ripe melon.

I can always tell when I overdid it by the tach losing 300-400 rpm the temp coming up 10-15 degrees and your just plain whooped 10 laps in. I’ve done it a few times now .... and I swear it won’t happen again.. lol!

Last edited:
By overstepping the tire do you mean you got it to soft? Not clear on that.
Yes I meant I had 12 and 10 on caster. Had .075 let front and 2.75 at front camber also. I had been told 12 rf and 8 of. Just sounded like to much but that is what I am going with. Moved the seat another 3/4 forward and lowered the rear of seat a little more. I know it was a little high. Have it at 9 3/4" now. Going to put it back on the scales.

Most would replay in general yes if to soft over prepped, and usually an over prepped tire is soft on duro, but don't look at it like that 100 % using to much chemical even though duro is in range is over prepped, using a medium prep when only hard track is required is over prepped, using an aggressive prep when only medium is required is over prepped, and on 33s unless track has moisture any prep at all I would consider over prepped.

If you're too soft, then you'd see excess wear on the tires. If you're not seeing excess heat and wear, then you're not prepped too soft.
Some preps need cure time as well and do best treated early in the week. Some as many as 10-14 days out.
At the track use for some of these preps, requires cutting with acrysol or burning them in with a torch or hot box use.
What preps are you using, how much, how often, when was it applied, was it dry or wet on the grid, what tires?
We need more info to make an accurate assessment.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you're too soft, then you'd see excess wear on the tires. If you're not seeing excess heat and wear, then you're not prepped too soft.
Some preps need cure time as well and do best treated early in the week. Some as many as 10-14 days out.
At the track use for some of these preps, requires cutting with acrysol or burning them in with a torch or hot box use.
What preps are you using, how much, how often, when was it applied, was it dry or wet on the grid, what tires?
We need more info to make an accurate assessment.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
What is most commonly burned or torched in?

Back