Paint issues...

patriot07

Got my kart totally taken down to bare metal, primed using rustoleum primer, and sprayed using rustoleum high performance enamel. Should I be doing a polyurethane on top? I didn't initially but some of the paint was coming off with me just reassembling the kart very gently...

Or should I have used a different paint?

My money maker all my life has been automotive refinishing so my advice go with a 2 part catylized paint rather than a rattle can. The worst 2K paint will be far better than the best spray bomb,,,,period.

My money maker all my life has been automotive refinishing so my advice go with a 2 part catylized paint rather than a rattle can. The worst 2K paint will be far better than the best spray bomb,,,,period.
So...what is my best bet for now? Is there a clear coat I can add that will help protect at least some?

I don't expect this cart to be abused - it will be stored inside and not used every day or anything like that, but I would like the paint to hold up for a while.

I do have a wagner paint sprayer so if something in that could go on top of the existing paint, that would be fine. I like using the sprayer, so that's not an issue. But I really don't want to strip back down to bare metal again...

Got my kart totally taken down to bare metal, primed using rustoleum primer, and sprayed using rustoleum high performance enamel. Should I be doing a polyurethane on top? I didn't initially but some of the paint was coming off with me just reassembling the kart very gently...

Or should I have used a different paint?
I have a kart and I am having it powdercoated because I took it completely apart and I plan to get it in really good conditon. Podercoat holds up so much. I used paint previously and It looked so bad, the moment you get it off the stand the paint goes to crap, I woulnt recommend paint if you want it to look good for a few years.

I have a kart and I am having it powdercoated because I took it completely apart and I plan to get it in really good conditon. Podercoat holds up so much. I used paint previously and It looked so bad, the moment you get it off the stand the paint goes to crap, I woulnt recommend paint if you want it to look good for a few years.
Honestly I don't care. The kids who will be using it won't care. It's just the wife who cares. She also doesn't want me spending any money on it. So I'm gonna have to figure out something different than powder coating.

Also it's already painted and I'm not stripping it again, so whatever I come up with has to go over existing paint.

Honestly I don't care. The kids who will be using it won't care. It's just the wife who cares. She also doesn't want me spending any money on it. So I'm gonna have to figure out something different than powder coating.

Also it's already painted and I'm not stripping it again, so whatever I come up with has to go over existing paint.
THe guy that is doing mine is charging 100 dollars flat to sandblast and powdercoat black, extremely affordable place!

So...what is my best bet for now? Is there a clear coat I can add that will help protect at least some?

I don't expect this cart to be abused - it will be stored inside and not used every day or anything like that, but I would like the paint to hold up for a while.

I do have a wagner paint sprayer so if something in that could go on top of the existing paint, that would be fine. I like using the sprayer, so that's not an issue. But I really don't want to strip back down to bare metal again...
Eastwood sells 2k colors and clears in aerosols though pricey. One of the worst things about an non 2k paint is gas and most solvents will remove or damage the finish no matter how long it has been applied .

After the paint you put on has completely cured, you can scuff lightly with a scotchbrite pad and clear with a 2 part product.
I would wait a min of 30 days at room temperature before overcoat.

Do a test piece first to make sure does not lift rattle can paint.

Good luck.

I'm going to strip my kids kart down over this winter and was going to paint it with rattle can, but i'm leaning more towards powder coating now. will cost a little more up front but it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm going to strip my kids kart down over this winter and was going to paint it with rattle can, but i'm leaning more towards powder coating now. will cost a little more up front but it will be worth it in the long run.
I think powder coating is the best way to go. I am on a very small budget but still busted out the extra few dollars for powdercoating because it looks good and is better than paint in protecting the frame against damage, rust and stuff like that and it is much easier to clean.

Guys on another forum recommended POR-15. I may end up putting that over top of the existing red paint. It seems to get excellent reviews, goes over paint, and is in budget. Then top with 2k clear coat.

If I hadn't already painted it, I'd have powder coated it.

Got on another forum (fishing, not carting, but it's a bunch of rednecks so I figured they would know), and they suggested POR-15. AFter reading, it gets really good reviews. I think that would be another good option that would hold up well, is way more affordable than powder coating, and is easy to apply (you can brush on and it supposedly lays down really well). Then a top coat of 2K clear coat, and it should hold up for a long time.

If I hadn't already painted it, I'd have powder coated it.

Got on another forum (fishing, not carting, but it's a bunch of rednecks so I figured they would know), and they suggested POR-15. AFter reading, it gets really good reviews. I think that would be another good option that would hold up well, is way more affordable than powder coating, and is easy to apply (you can brush on and it supposedly lays down really well). Then a top coat of 2K clear coat, and it should hold up for a long time.
yeah i looked at that, still would be expensive and I'm assuming it wouldn't be much higher to just powder coat. the POR-15 kit cost around $70 for a quart and the 2k topcoat they sell is like $75. so almost $150. If I don't powder coat it will be $20 worth of Rust-Oleum for me lol

Back