Parts shopping?

JBash87

What is the go to online source for parts, - seats,tires, clutches, a good air pressure gauge. Is there a good catch all type site or is it a matter of shopping around. I have been looking thru things but stuff like tires and clutches are awful hard to figure out without knowing exactly what I'm ordering...

There is not a great site for beginners. JC Specialty is a great place to look at a majority of the options you will find anywhere at competitive prices, but the website looks like it was built with Geocities.

I buy most of my stuff off JC SPECAILTY because they are close to home but I have purchased off of Dover and Turk Bro’s as well. All great people to deal with!

We used to sell a good bit online, but had a LOT of returns due to the customer not knowing what he really needed.
Even with pictures and a good description, there are a LOT of applications (different engines, wheel colors offsets, options, etc.) that get confusing.
At one point we were going to do the full catalog as an online shopping cart. Aside from the obvious amount of time that would take to create, the constant updates (price changes, quantities in stock, item descriptions changing, etc.) it was a logistical nightmare unless we hired a full time IT & social media person. It's still something that I would consider, but when you look at the bottom line in our industry; the profit margins are miserably low and don't justify a business the size of ours going that route. A few other karting businesses have tried in the past and failed.
While it looks appealing to have an online shopping cart and 24/7access, the extra manpower required to keep up with shipping and receiving, processing orders placed after hours,, the extra money involved from a bank to order in good stock, etc, is just a huge hurdle for most to even attempt. It would be difficult, at best, to justify add'l employees and a ton more overhead for little to no more net income generated.

The current trend is just the opposite - an online presence that does not stock anything, rather and have orders drop shipped from a larger distributor.
That model creates it's own frustrations (especially for the customer.)

We have always preferred to have a more personal, hands-on, approach to taking orders and stocking items that we can confidently represent. Anything labor intensive (engine and clutch builds/rebuild, tire blueprinting, etc.) are not real conducive to online shopping carts. We prefer to talk to the customer and try our best to make sure they are getting exactly what they want (and can use) for their application and at their track. For instance, it won't do a customer any good to sell him a set of sticker Maxxis on Van-K black wheels if he must run Burris at his local track. Then you get into all the various cuts, preps, wheel options, etc. :) Unless we can have some dialogue with the customer, it can get real difficult to be sure he's getting what he needs.

It's certainly not easy to be in business, especially karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian has good points . Shipping big items is expensive . A local shop may not be close for everyday trips . But well worth developing that relationship .
Knowing what you want , is key especially when making big orders .
Return policies typically are ; if you order the wrong part thats on you .

At one point we were going to do the full catalog as an online shopping cart. Aside from the obvious amount of time that would take to create, the constant updates (price changes, quantities in stock, item descriptions changing, etc.) it was a logistical nightmare unless we hired a full time IT & social media person. It's still something that I would consider, but when you look at the bottom line in our industry; the profit margins are miserably low and don't justify a business the size of ours going that route. A few other karting businesses have tried in the past and failed.
While it looks appealing to have an online shopping cart and 24/7access, the extra manpower required to keep up with shipping and receiving, processing orders placed after hours,, the extra money involved from a bank to order in good stock, etc, is just a huge hurdle for most to even attempt. It would be difficult, at best, to justify add'l employees and a ton more overhead for little to no more net income generated.

It's certainly not easy to be in business, especially karting.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It seems some places don't worry about how much they have in stock, they call if they are out of stock and its going to be awhile before they can get it. I appreciated the call.

Set that store up Brian so I can order easier ;)

Palmetto Speed Shop is about as good as you'll find from all categories. JC Specialty has more items in inventory and selection than almost anyone else. Dyno Cams has a good store presence and inventory. Competition Karting has a good online store as well. All of the above are also good at answering a phone call, talking about options, and pointing you in the right direction as well.

BMI has a lot to pick from but shipping seems pretty high. I'm an internet order guy I hate having to pick up the phone
BMI burnt me on a bad air filter... was missing the filter material in between the pleats, wife didn’t catch it in the pits putting it on..... wiped out a ring set on a fresh motor... they didn’t even offer to replace the filter.... were done there!

I tend to buy from the guys who take the time to answer questions. Dover, Jimmy Rivers, Turk Bros, ARC Racing and Reikens are good about this. BMI has a lot of stuff but little support. By reputation JC Specialties seems to be, also. Kart manufacturers sell a lot of parts, too and Ultramax has been helpful too.

Back