Passed Tech and got a project to boot.

I have no issue with tech and always sure my son is legal to the absolute best of my knowledge. BUT- my issue is when the track tech guy is building engines and teching his OWN stuff. And when you outrun said engines, sometimes by a HUGE margin, they like to "Find" things on their own. Had this happen to us many many times in the past at local shows. Now all we really run is big events and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I honestly wish tracks had the resources to tech all the way much more often to help keep everyone honest. We all know being tore down completely like that is a 1:50 chance usually.

I have no issue with tech and always sure my son is legal to the absolute best of my knowledge. BUT- my issue is when the track tech guy is building engines and teching his OWN stuff. And when you outrun said engines, sometimes by a HUGE margin, they like to "Find" things on their own. Had this happen to us many many times in the past at local shows. Now all we really run is big events and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I honestly wish tracks had the resources to tech all the way much more often to help keep everyone honest. We all know being tore down completely like that is a 1:50 chance usually.
I’m thinking about taking me new motor to a local tech guy and paying him to certify and seal it. Correct, this doesn’t mean anything at all. However, it will hopefully make it harder for any funny business like you mentioned above.

I'm saying its greater than that around here probably 1000:1. I can think of 1 complete teardown in clones around here in 3 years. Usually its carb, plate, stroke, NKA look in the head

I’m thinking about taking me new motor to a local tech guy and paying him to certify and seal it. Correct, this doesn’t mean anything at all. However, it will hopefully make it harder for any funny business like you mentioned above.
The track tech man makes the call, doesn't matter if it's sealed and checked by someone else, all that matters is what that tech man rules that race

You can pay an independent tech man to make sure something hasn't wore in your engine to make it out of rule spec, but there is no "certification" or "sealing" that means anything when it comes time to tech. In fact if I were a tech man and someone told me their engine was certified and sealed so theres no reason to tech it, that's the FIRST engine I'm tearing down :)

You can pay an independent tech man to make sure something hasn't wore in your engine to make it out of rule spec, but there is no "certification" or "sealing" that means anything when it comes time to tech. In fact if I were a tech man and someone told me their engine was certified and sealed so theres no reason to tech it, that's the FIRST engine I'm tearing down :)
The purpose is for me to know it’s good before the race.

!00 -200 bucks for a warm fuzzy feeling .
with nothing to say the person sealing the engine did not make an error .
even the best builders have one fail on occasion .
Now if said person was the tech guy ..... Might be money well spent .

Doesn't matter if you have a guy that says it's good, as stated the only one to make the decision is the tech man that is tearing you apart.
But I don’t know the rules, specs, processes for f how to check etc. If they want to pull one over on me they can. They can cry foul and I won’t know right from wrong.

Even if you know whats what .
Theres nothing that can be done . Beyond protesting .
At national events there are some protocols in place .
Still its a process with many hands involved .
You do have a rule book , right ?

But I don’t know the rules, specs, processes for f how to check etc. If they want to pull one over on me they can. They can cry foul and I won’t know right from wrong.
Having a rule book is a must. I "think" AKRA tech manuals are only $15. At this point of the season (if you're not going to be racing indoors) you might as well wait until the new manuals come out after the first of the year.
Your engine builder will help you. Afterall, his name's on the side of that engine...it's in his best interest that it passes tech every night out.
As builders, we've all gotten that occasional 8am Monday morning call. :)

While we are on this topic let me say this about AKRA. If you get teched and feel that the call is not appropriate you have the right to request the part be boxed taped and signed by tech inspector owner and track representative preferably the promoter. Signatures must be across the tape. Then you can request the item be sent to the legal representative that is responsible for the area you were racing in. After the item is inspected by the representative you sent it to you will receive a phone call in regards to whether the part in question had the correct call made. There is no such thing of this nature with NKA. That is why AKRA would like everyone to become a member so they have that privilege in the event of a questionable call. I’ll get parts sent to me almost on an every other week basis by people who are teched by non-certified tech inspectors.

From the Tech Shed last weekend, to this weekend.......ready for more!

Attachments

• DSCF1455.JPG
    DSCF1455.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1464.JPG
    DSCF1464.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 36
Back