Paul Kish Here is your solution

I got info on the product Chuck. It cost between 5 and 7 hundred and is not available in my area.

B.t.w. they are showing a 100 amp model in the link I posted but they make them compatible for 200 amp also. In my last house I wired an exterior inlet to plug my generator into. I have installed the outlet directly below the panel and customer used long cord for generator. Provides general use of your house and a much lower price than transfer switches.
Not sure what I'm going to do on my new house. I have a 400 amp service with mains outside so this option won't work for this installation.

Thank you. I have worked with for years, had presented to me every year through an annual safety course and even tested every year on my knowledge of proper lockout methods.

But until your post it never entered my mind to put a lockout on the Main Breaker in my own home. I'm going to get a 'lockout' for the Main Breaker. It will prevent others not knowledgeable about what's going on, from turning on the breaker. And it will be a reminder to me to make sure everything is properly prepared, prior to turning the Main Breaker back on.

Here's a link to what I searched for and found after reading your reply:

http://www.lockoutstore.com/stopout-double-pole-circuit-breaker-lockout-kdd161.html

thank you

paul

edit: I have come to the conclusion because of help on here a >"Transfer Switch"< is the ONLY way to go.

I am going to have a "Transfer Switch" installed and will also "Lockout" the Main Breaker until utility power is properly restored. I'm thinking now when using a Transfer Switch, to protect your house until you know power is properly restored, it would be a good idea to lockout the Main Breaker in the Off position. I think it would be a good idea even though in theory and practice it's not required.

Last edited:
You're welcome Paul. Just a few notes..the lockout I posted is foolproof when installed correctly. The generator back feeds the panel through the new breaker installed in specified locations(1 and 3). In order to feed the panel the main needs to be turned off so the 2 pole back feed breaker will turn on.
I have installed many whole house generators. When going that route the only way to go is to have the full sized 200 amp transfer switch. The alternative are the transfer switch and panel where you must select crucial circuits. Often times they are not large enough to cover all the branch circuits leaving the homeowner without the use of some confidence outlets and perhaps some lighting.
Again a properly installed and properly working transfer switch is foolproof as it does the work for you.
I couldn't find the original post where you inquired about generators.....do you plan on using a permanent NG/propane or diesel generator or a portable?

Back