PCV valve? Maybe stupid questions...?

Thomas1971

Hey everyone, I am planning on running a PCV valve from EC on my Burris sump cover. It replaces the oil fill cap at the top. I’m going to run this because I have had oil spray from my valve cover vent at high rpm’s.
This is on my mini bike, so I’ve never ran a catch can from my valve cover or crankcase before, Just always checked my oil level.
So my questions are, Does a lot of oil come out of it? I know some will,so I’m going to run a catch can now. If the engine is idling (on my engine table) or just running in general, will It spray oil since it’s right above the crankcase? Or will it be mostly air like the valve cover vent?

It still should be run to a catch can, or put a small air filter on it so it can breathe - that'll also stop the oil vapor from spraying all over your leg.
In your other post, you are running too much oil as well. Very little oil should be pushed out of the breather. If it is a stock valve cover breather, it has a diaphragm/baffle and foam insert in it. If you are using an aftermarket breather, you will push some oil out of it of course since there is no baffle.
Either way, a catch can should be used with the increased crankcase pressure of a built-up engine like this.
You could also build yourself an oil recirculator that drains the oil back into the crankcase. Just place the filter/vent high enough that it doesn't spray oil out of it once it gets saturated.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back