Peak power with my 460cc cam and carb setup

CarolinaSS

My engine specs are a 460cc with an ARC billet rod and flywheel, 7cc dished piston, jeremy Parsons ported head milled .080 with 40/33mm valves, 65# springs, 1.2 ratio Gage roller rocker arms, .307 lift 260 duration cam from NR, serpentine header, and a 34mm Mike Clements carb. I have a 4 disk viper clutch for it and I'm looking at gearing now to run 1/8 mile drag on a lightweight minibike. I was wanting to know approximate rpm's this motor should peak at with my cam and carb combo so I can get a starting point for sprockets. With my rider it should weigh between 250-300lbs total and I'd like to gear it so it could trap 80mph if the power is there and I want to have it run 80 around peak power whether it's 7000 or 8500 rpms. Everything is bought, just waiting on the 50" wheelbase drag frame to get here and only need to order sprockets. I know every motor is different but I'd like to know about similar setups from experience with the parts I have, I only need a starting point and there's nobody local to Dyno a big block. Thanks

If you are trying to get a top speed the starting point is mathematical, RPM, drive train ratio, and rear wheel circumference.

If you are trying to get a top speed the starting point is mathematical, RPM, drive train ratio, and rear wheel circumference.

I know how to do that. I just need a rough estimate of where my engine should peak HP wise so I can gear it to run 80@ that rpm. Example, if it peaks @ 7500 rpm I'll run a 12" rear tire, 19t driver, and 64t sprocket to achieve 80 mph@ 7500rpm. It'll take track testing to tune the setup but I'd like to be close without spending much money on unneeded things. I think with the total weight and power trapping 80 mph in the 1/8 is possible and I'd like it to be at or slightly above peak power@ the stripe.

How did the
I know how to do that. I just need a rough estimate of where my engine should peak HP wise so I can gear it to run 80@ that rpm. Example, if it peaks @ 7500 rpm I'll run a 12" rear tire, 19t driver, and 64t sprocket to achieve 80 mph@ 7500rpm. It'll take track testing to tune the setup but I'd like to be close without spending much money on unneeded things. I think with the total weight and power trapping 80 mph in the 1/8 is possible and I'd like it to be at or slightly above peak power@ the stripe.
how did the setup work out for you ? Did you get your 80? What rpm did you see from that cam ? How was the carb ? Did you have a balanced crank or balance shaft ? WhT fuel did you run ?

Back