Percival Hellcat

Emmick93

Does anyone have history of Percival Manufacturing Company that built the Hellcat karts back in the 60's? How long were these karts produced? Were they competitive? I found it interesting that the company was based in Des Moines, Iowa having spent a lot of my time around there. I was just curious if anyone wants to share some history. Thanks

I've seen them rarely at VKA events. They look like a really nice design and I've heard stories about guys that wheeled them well back in the day. That said don't know a lot about them. I do have video of one that I shot recently at a VKA kart show, that was restored by Jeff Brown. Here is the link:

We had one around the 59-60-61 time frame. If you ran the kart straight from the factory, it was a fairly stiff handler and very few people used them as a single engine kart. The stiff problem was caused by the metal floor pan being welded to the frame. We cut ours out and replaced it with a fiberglass pan bolted to the frame using aircraft clamps. It then turned into one of the best twin engine karts available. We ran it for about 3 years, with a pair of very modified Mac 20's and had zero problems. It turned out to be a very good kart.

There were an awful lot of rear karts that had that super stiff steel floor pan welded in. We've dealt with a lot of them over the years in restorations.

Back