Perfect Grip

paulkish

old fart
Hypothetical Perfect Grip definition by me:

All four tires applying equal grip all around the track.

My last time this year at a kart track I saw a friends kart enter turn one on rails but he was slow from turn entry to the start of acceleration. Watching his kart it appeared the rear tires flowed effortlessly from the start of his actual turn into one and out. Watching and studying more though the kart was totally smooth in that area of the track, it was not fast. I don't know how to describe it other then he had "perfect grip" which did not allow him to roll through the turn but made him grip through the turn.

Naturally me being me it takes me to asking what tires need freed up at different portions of the track eliminating "perfect grip"?

... dumb question? ... :)

Thinking about the same kart race another friend I watched out on the track in the same corner would do two different things in the seat.

1. When it appeared he wanted to roll through and off the corner I would see him make physical effort to lean to the right.
2. When it appeared he wanted to protect the inside I would see him through the same corner as if he was sitting on scales.

Last edited:
Paul, I believe this is what some would call "locked" down. It makes the kart slow. Ideally you need the LR to lift and the kart to rotate on that LR to execute a fast turn.

Paul, I believe this is what some would call "locked" down. It makes the kart slow. Ideally you need the LR to lift and the kart to rotate on that LR to execute a fast turn.

Just a thought i'm pondering about what you wrote.

"you can't accelerate off the left rear unless you slip the right rear". "but the right rear can out accelerate a slipping left rear". "and a right rear won't rotate around a left rear unless the left rear is anchored/ruddered.

just pondering bout what you wrote ... :)

Last edited:
Back