Performance impact of a leaking headgasket

I'll say that while doing tech, I've seen plenty of leaking head gaskets in the tech barn at the end of the night.
While the leaking head gasket certainly didn't "help" them to win, there was obviously more important things (tires) involved.)
A minor leak may go unnoticed, while a major leak can cause the engine to be down considerably on power.

I've never seen a leaking head gasket be beneficial (at least not on a low HP/weight ratio race car.

Get it fixed and then work on the rest of your race program.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I see the timesaver on the model t fourms were they use poured babbit .
Good place and its intended use that and bushings with out a reamer .
Bon Ami down the carb to seat the rings fast , no thanks .
I actually saw the 'BonAmi down the carb' thing done to a newly rebuilt 312 back when I was a kid.
'Course it was a 312. And a Ford, so....

Head gaskets happened every so often in alky animals and they’d be down 500-800 rpm no problem if they were really blown on a sprint track.

Things that blew head gaskets. Any combination that got the head too hot.
Put a big guy in an Animal, put sticky tires on it, tape up the blower housing, set the kart up too tight, put it on a tight sprint track with lots of slow turns or one with a hill to pull up, put too much timing in it would also help.
Heaven forbid you would run it on gas.
In a short time you could replace the head gasket. Maybe even the head if it was warped bad enough.
I still have a 2 X 6 X 6 steel plate that i used to straighten them with. Problem was it usually didn't stay straight for very long.
Taking the tape off the blower housing was worth .2 to .3 hp but who would ever want to do that???

Engine building is all about the Horsepower and who's in the winners circle.
That fan takes a lot of power to cut through the air. On cars and trucks long ago we had belt driven Clutch fans on the front of the engine. Since the FWD cars we have electric fans that only run when necessary. The main reason is to get better fuel mileage but along with that is a little more HP available to the wheels.
Taping up the blower housing and using a long reach spark plug to get more compression is worth about 1/2 hp. To leave that on the table isn't going to get you the checkers. (most of the time)
The reason the LO 206 has a speck spark plug and a NO TAPE on the blower housing rule is to eliminate $30.00 spark plugs and to prevent engines from overheating.
The speck air filter rule is prevent $35.00 plus air filters. However, a $27.00 Briggs air filter isn't much better.
The spec pipe is to eliminate the pipe of the week syndrome.

Back