Phenolic spacer not approved

DynoDon

DF651F13-EA95-4B2D-8AEF-2073689F7FB2.jpeg

My 2020 rulebook clearly states:

"Phenolic spacer must be flat across entire gasket mating surface, with a minimum thickness on gasket surface of .265" (not including gasket). Gasket surfaces must remain parallel ... no angle cutting allowed. Center inlet hole is NON-TECH (size, configuration, finish), but no rifling, grooving, dimpling, etc. allowed. Maximum mounting holes(s) size .300" NO-GO (checked with .300"+ pin gauge)" Phenolic spacer/gasket(s) subject to spray test to check for leakage or introduction of air into intake track.[sic] When performing the spray test the engine may stall or speed up, both indicate that the engine has failed this test.) Length of carburetor mounting stud I[sic] non tech. (Gasket Matching Allowed)"

Is it a new rule that it must be D shaped? Please explain further.

EDIT: I'll tell you right now, mine has been gasket matched to the carb and intake port. It may not make any more power but it makes me feel better. It is still D shaped but certainly ported.

Last edited:
Quote: Is it a new rule that it must be D shaped? Please explain further

As compared to known stock part. The book you read also states that.

Quote: Is it a new rule that it must be D shaped? Please explain further

As compared to known stock part. The book you read also states that.
Don,
Can we please clean up (ie remove) the wording then that says it is non-tech and can be cleaned up, gasket matched, etc. in the tech book?
"As compared to known stock part" is really an issue with the variance of parts in these engines (and always has been.)
This rule that Bomber quoted certainly appears to contradict the "compared to known stock part" rule.
Rule books should never contradict themselves.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Don- you're certainly a man of reason and old school common sense. You have to agree then that this statement Center inlet hole is NON-TECH (size, configuration, finish) is VERY contradictory!

The "compared to know stock" rule is a general rule that is superseded by the "Non-Tech" rule that is specific to the individual part.

There should be some verbiage to this effect in the preamble.

Keep in mind that the wording as compared to known stock part “ the D shape , is where the issue lies. I am sure we can fix it. Hang in there

Amazing that anyone that would use the compared to known stock part rule in this situation knowing the rulebook states Center inlet hole is NON-TECH (size, configuration, finish). IS the "D" shape the configuration of the hole? If not what does term "configuration" refer to?
Keep in mind that the wording as compared to known stock part “ the D shape , is where the issue lies. I am sure we can fix it. Hang in there
So what portion of the hole does the term "configuration" apply to?
What is the meaning of configuration?

Definition of configuration

1a : relative arrangement of parts or elements: such as. (1) : shape. (2) : contour of land configuration of the mountains. (3) : functional arrangement a small business computer system in its simplest configuration. It seems definition #1 applies here. I am curious what the original intent was when the term "configuration" was added to the rules in the first place.

Last edited:
Back