Phenom Setup - Asphalt Oval

AustinXL

I'm running a 1/5 mile asphalt oval, kart weighs around 376-380ish.

Was running Unilli tires but switching to Vega Yellows.

Current Setup is:

LEFT - 58.8%
NOSE - 47.5%
CROSS - 58%

LF +3/4 Camber
RF -3.25 Camber

I'm not sure what the caster and toe are.

Am I in the right ballpark?

I'm running a 1/5 mile asphalt oval, kart weighs around 376-380ish.

Was running Unilli tires but switching to Vega Yellows.

Current Setup is:

LEFT - 58.8%
NOSE - 47.5%
CROSS - 58%

LF +3/4 Camber
RF -3.25 Camber

I'm not sure what the caster and toe are.

Am I in the right ballpark?

You're pretty close. Your nose is 1% too high though. I'd be tempted to get the nose down some, around 46.5%. You could probably afford to run at least 61% or so cross, but 58% won't hurt to start with. Caster should be at 6 LF & 8 RF to start with. And I'd run 1/16" toe out.

What about tire pressure? As a starting point... Something in this kart (and it may be the tires themselves, we'll see...) is making the kart hard to control in the corners.

What about tire pressure? As a starting point... Something in this kart (and it may be the tires themselves, we'll see...) is making the kart hard to control in the corners.

I like to start with 8ls 10rs on yellow Vegas.
It's hard to control with the Unillis or Vegas ?
Also explain hard to control ?

I like to start with 8ls 10rs on yellow Vegas.
It's hard to control with the Unillis or Vegas ?
Also explain hard to control ?

It's hard to control with the Unillis. Loose going into corners, push coming out. I haven't tried the Vegas yet, those seem to be the tire of choice at my track. Like someone told me about the unillis - "way I look at it, there's a reason no ones running them."

It's hard to control with the Unillis. Loose going into corners, push coming out. I haven't tried the Vegas yet, those seem to be the tire of choice at my track. Like someone told me about the unillis - "way I look at it, there's a reason no ones running them."

The vegas are the way to go, are they a new set?

It's gunna be like night & day...... A few yrs back we had a Burris 55 tire rule, now it's open and Vegas rule the roost.

Also - what is this bar? What does it adjust and where should it be set?

2ns6u4k.jpg

Before you change the setup much just ride it on the new tires because it's probably going to make a dramatic change. Tune based on what the kart does. I do like the idea of more cross and less LF camber. You may also end up on less left but riding it will tell the tale.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

I very seldom see a flat kart setup where the LF is heavier than the RF. Champ karts do it a lot. How is that weight percentage working out for you? What about stagger in the rear? Have you ever measured the width of the track?

I would have thought the opposite but I am new to any type of setup like this. Is there a theory behind it?

Turn your steering wheel 1 degree on the track and its all out the window. Never saw an explanation to support one side or the other.

Back