phenom still good for jr ?

CodyH00

have an old 05 phenom was wondering if it would still be competitive in jr classes ? starting my 5 yr old out. We will be running Tri-County Kartway in kenly, NC

have an old 05 phenom was wondering if it would still be competitive in jr classes ? starting my 5 yr old out. We will be running Tri-County Kartway in kenly, NC
To start out it will be just as fast as brand new, your 5 yr old will dictate what's fast for a while seat time is what is important.

Heck ya, I know guys still running them up front on dirt and ours are always up front on asphalt.

Back in 2014 a few kids ran them there in red plate and did really good. If you already have one, ride it until your kid is ready for more speed.

That would be a GREAT choice for a first kart -- and especially an underpowered, slower, super light, class.
At 5 y/o, focus on the basics and start building some communication between driver and crew chief.
When the only thing holding him/her back is a shiny new kart, THEN spend the bucks.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

thanks for all the responses. Since posting last i have talked to some family in SC and now have the option of one of two phenoms and a 2012 charger magnum. Also does anybody know where i can get a copy of the rules that TCK runs ? Engine rules, what clutches are allowed in what classes that kind of thing ?

You can contact Scotty Hale 252-314-5038 to confirm. Red plate is clone engine, 265 pounds, open clutch, maxxis tires pinks/blues

Thanks again look forward to getting out there. Any tips on calming the wife down she is worried it's to dangerous. Told her he would be fine but she still doesn't know

AS long as he understands throttle and break, hand signals, flags and lights, and has all safety equipment it's as safe as riding a bike.

Yeah I told her that and I would never let him out there with anything less than all the equipment and knowledge about flags and signals

Definitely safer on the race track (officials, safety crew, ambulance on sight, cars all going the same direction, going roughly the same speed, flagman overseeing everything, safety equipment - helmet, neckbrace, etc etc.) than on your trip home from the track (oncoming traffic, middle of the night, no supervision, people asleep or on drugs/alcohol, different speed cars, different wheelbase cars - bikes, semis, etc.)

I've always felt much safer on the track than on my way home after the races.
Also...
Don't skimp on safety equipment (regardless of how quickly he will grow out of it.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have 4 boys and he is the oldest sorrowing out of it isn't really a concern. :LOL: safety is the most important thing in my book

Back