Pic of tool post clutch grinder

fasttommy

I bought a mini lathe and want to set it up to grind clutches. Anyone have any pics or part numbers anything would help thanks

I suppose tool post grinders are available specifically for the mini-lathes (check with the dealer you purchased your lathe from) they make some pretty cool lathes for cutting RC foam tires and race tools & accessories that are scaled waaaay down for them...but the tool post grinder that I use here in the shop is a behemoth! (Then again, so is the lathe.) ;)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you got the harbor freight mini lathe , try Little machine shop.com , they are in California , only place that has tool post grinder for them, part #2001 , I believe

For small stuff, I just stick a pencil pneumatic die grinder into a tool holder.
For larger stuff, eBay is full of tool post grinders, mine cost about $200.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l2632.R2.TR4.TRC1.A0.H1.Xtool+post+grinder.TRS0&_nkw=tool+post+grinder&_sacat=11804

Keep in mind, when grinding, take very light cuts.
Typically you don't want to take more than .0002" per pass.
Not a miss-type, that is 1/5th of .001".
And on small lathes, with a mini tool grinder, even that may be too much, due to flexibility of the lathe, and grinder spindle.
So just breath on the feed screw, and take multiple passes without feeding in any more.
You will be able to here when the grinder motor frees up, then just breath on the feed screw some more.
Otherwise you will probably just stall the grinder, or end up with chatter marks on the work, or a very uneven finish.

Honestly, I don't think a mini-lathe will handle it.

But you will find out.
Good luck....

LoL, yeah, there are a few pictured there that really should not have been on the internet....

I've never had any luck using a tool post grinder on a lathe. You might do passable work on a rather big machine but 10x24 and smaller, good luck.

I've never had any luck using a tool post grinder on a lathe.

Depends what the job is.
Shortening a bearing race, or wrist pin, or putting a snap ring grove into a dowel pin, they work great.
Regrinding a Timken bearing race, not so much.

But it does have a lot to do with coolant used and stone material/grit, and feed depth.
Some people think they can feed in a couple of thousanths at a time, and any stone they have handy.
Grinders don't work that way, they can only take a fraction of a thousanth of an inch.
Most lathes don't have fine enough graduations on the feed screw, and why I said just breath on the hand wheel.

Back