Picked up a Kart with stock Flathead

Shamner

New to karting. Thanks in advance for any help. I picked up a kart with a stock looking Flathead he spray painted the engine so no idea of hp or model. bought it from a guy that couldn’t get it started. Found the kill switch grounded out. Fixed that. I changed oil and it fired right up. Adjusted carb and got smooth idle, but when hitting throttle it bogs and wants to die. Compression is good. Any suggestions? I’m gonna order a carb kit but really wanted to find a better than stock not too high priced carb. Any suggestions or setup ideas for carb, header, tank and pulse system? Im assuming an aftermarket carb will need pulse system and tank relocation. A diagram or pic of a setup would be great. Don’t need a hi performance output but would like a few inexpensive upgrades.

thanks in advance for any pointers!

Attachments

• C931E9E8-9873-497F-8B08-6BDD19FDB7F5.jpeg
    C931E9E8-9873-497F-8B08-6BDD19FDB7F5.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 60468AF8-BD2D-4D5F-A6EC-C67AB6CCD069.jpeg
    60468AF8-BD2D-4D5F-A6EC-C67AB6CCD069.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 64
As much as i like a flathead .
A new predator engine will suit your needs better then a differnt carb at less cost .
Thats a fun power carb . The jet is in the tank . You will need to remove tank too clean .
It might not run properly without air cleaner .
A new diaphragm might fix it .
New plug and fresh fuel .
Hopefully you can work the carb over and get it straightened out .

I was looking at the predator 212 also. I may grab a 212 and tinker with the Flathead as I have time. Appreciate the help!

Nice looking yard kart.

... but here's some advice you may or may not like.

If your an adult or responsible young man fine.

BUT DON'T EVER LET A YOUNG KID RIDE IT !

It has no down tubes going from the top of the roll cage to the front and IT'S A DEATH TRAP FOR YOUNG KIDS.

The most common way for a kid to get killed on a kart/yard kart is to run under something and get their head crushed.
Please trust me on this and don't ever let anyone but yourself ride it.
New yard karts now all have the down tubes or should because kids have and did get killed on them.

have fun with it and hop it up because that alone is fun to do and see the results of your efforts

Nice looking yard kart.

... but here's some advice you may or may not like.

If your an adult or responsible young man fine.

BUT DON'T EVER LET A YOUNG KID RIDE IT !

It has no down tubes going from the top of the roll cage to the front and IT'S A DEATH TRAP FOR YOUNG KIDS.

The most common way for a kid to get killed on a kart/yard kart is to run under something and get their head crushed.
Please trust me on this and don't ever let anyone but yourself ride it.
New yard karts now all have the down tubes or should because kids have and did get killed on them.

have fun with it and hop it up because that alone is fun to do and see the results of your efforts
Thanks for that, I was actually letting my little nephew help me tinker with it and let him catch the feeling of taking something that doesn’t run and fixing it and making it run right. There are a few safety additions I’m gonna add! That will def be added to the list!

Back