Pile of Tires

2Pricey

Like the title states, I’ve got a pile of tires from roughly 10 years ago. Mostly burris but there’s some dunlops mixed in as well. Obviously the cracked tires are no good, but how do others tell if they’re still decent enough to hit the track? Or at least a couple practice days for that matter.
If it makes a difference I know a fair amount of the burris have been cut, no prep used on any of them.
Thanks

Like the title states, I’ve got a pile of tires from roughly 10 years ago. Mostly burris but there’s some dunlops mixed in as well. Obviously the cracked tires are no good, but how do others tell if they’re still decent enough to hit the track? Or at least a couple practice days for that matter.
If it makes a difference I know a fair amount of the burris have been cut, no prep used on any of them.
Thanks
Are they on rims or not?

A 10ish year old Burris could theoretically be fine to race on. I don't race Dunlop's so not sure on that front. Put some WD40 on them and see how they are after that. I have some 14s that are good tires, planning to race them this year. All that depends on your application of course, some guys can make tires last that long, and some need fresh ones multiple times a year. Just check the beads for any inconsistencies before you mount them. I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but like I said there are situations where a 10 year old tire is perfect and those where it is the worst, so its hard to be clear cut. Hopefully others can provide a little more specificity about your region.

On a separate note, make sure your wheels that you use are all the same or that you note the differences. I started my season on an offset RF and it made my kart handle terribly til someone pointed it out to me. This may not apply to you, but I thought it was worth sharing since the stuff I bought was older as well.

So here is the answer. If left outside tires are now the dogs chew toy. Keep the rims junk the tires. If kept indoors you need to go through them with a fine toothed comb as they still could get weathered from just sitting in a corner. We just dismounted quite a few old weathered tires yesterday and they have been kept in the garage since 2017. All old stock.

So here is the answer. If left outside tires are now the dogs chew toy. Keep the rims junk the tires. If kept indoors you need to go through them with a fine toothed comb as they still could get weathered from just sitting in a corner. We just dismounted quite a few old weathered tires yesterday and they have been kept in the garage since 2017. All old stock.
Gotcha, yea all were kept inside out of the rain but definitely got weathered. Took another look and I bet 3-4 out of 15 will be usable. Thanks

A 10ish year old Burris could theoretically be fine to race on. I don't race Dunlop's so not sure on that front. Put some WD40 on them and see how they are after that. I have some 14s that are good tires, planning to race them this year. All that depends on your application of course, some guys can make tires last that long, and some need fresh ones multiple times a year. Just check the beads for any inconsistencies before you mount them. I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but like I said there are situations where a 10 year old tire is perfect and those where it is the worst, so its hard to be clear cut. Hopefully others can provide a little more specificity about your region.

On a separate note, make sure your wheels that you use are all the same or that you note the differences. I started my season on an offset RF and it made my kart handle terribly til someone pointed it out to me. This may not apply to you, but I thought it was worth sharing since the stuff I bought was older as well.
Me too.i have 2 nice sets of 15’s.the lf is cracked some but i can drop em to bout 46 and let em rip.

I believe from a chemical standpoint that fluorescent lamps can oxidize rubber. Also, electric motors (like on HVAC) can generate ozone which I think may also degrade rubber over time. Attics and loft storage aren’t good either due to summer heat. Careful where you store stuff.

Back