Pink and blues ?

kblaze

My son runs a champ kart on 1/7 dirt with slight banking. It is a momentum track. We run pink and blues punching around 53 with good bite. This Saturday we are racing in the heat of the day. Should I put on high 50 with a little less bite or low 60s with even less bite? Or stay on 53s.

Harder tires for the day races, but like he said above you want to add bite to them like you would the softer tires. If your normally on tires punching 53 for night races, 58-60 would be close for day races, but probably use your set that are 53 for qualifying

Are you killing your tires punching 53 now? Why would you want to go harder? Are they overheating, wearing too much, going away on long runs? What is wrong with the tires punching 53?

More questions than answers, I know -- just trying to get a handle on why you're wanting to change before throwing out recommendations.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Are you killing your tires punching 53 now? Why would you want to go harder? Are they overheating, wearing too much, going away on long runs? What is wrong with the tires punching 53?

More questions than answers, I know -- just trying to get a handle on why you're wanting to change before throwing out recommendations.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
We always race at night and I this is 1st season. Not necessarily looking to change the tires. Just looking for insight on racing in the heat of the day. The 53s have been pretty good so far but maybe just a little soft. I haven't been putting anything on during the week. Just pink magic before heats and main.

Talk to Jamie or Benji about Pink Magic specifically.
If you are seeing excessive tire wear or temps, then you are likely too soft on duro for the track conditions. If your tires aren't being abused, I wouldn't change the duro as much as I'd look at adding more bite to them for dry slick dusty daytime track conditions. If the track clears off and starts to bite up, then go to a harder tire, but unless you are getting a high kart count I doubt it will ever bite up hard - keep adding your bite prep.
Since you are saying that they are a little too soft, I think you answered your own question. :)

All my tires are used 53 have green on them. 58 have pink magic in and out. 60 not sure got with a kart.

Theres the magic.....how much inside?
They may be at 58 and 60 now but once you use them and get some heat back in them they may be actually a bit softer, or you have an old date coded tire.

Theres the magic.....how much inside?
They may be at 58 and 60 now but once you use them and get some heat back in them they may be actually a bit softer, or you have an old date coded tire.

They are scuffs Jamie ran about 2 months ago and not sure exactly how much was put in them.

Talk to Jamie or Benji about Pink Magic specifically.
If you are seeing excessive tire wear or temps, then you are likely too soft on duro for the track conditions. If your tires aren't being abused, I wouldn't change the duro as much as I'd look at adding more bite to them for dry slick dusty daytime track conditions. If the track clears off and starts to bite up, then go to a harder tire, but unless you are getting a high kart count I doubt it will ever bite up hard - keep adding your bite prep.
Since you are saying that they are a little too soft
They run 3 classes of mini sprint on the track as well so it is usually rubbered up pretty good by the main. I don't take temp of tires but did notice they are a little rough. No feathering or blistering. Just not real smooth like before. Saturday they are allowing hot laps. Planning on trying a couple to see what is better. Thanks for your help.

Go with the tire wear you are seeing. If they are peeling you are too soft. If they are just staring to show grain, but speed not falling off you might be on the right set. What lap is your fastest?

Go with the tire wear you are seeing. If they are peeling you are too soft. If they are just staring to show grain, but speed not falling off you might be on the right set. What lap is your fastest?

My son is still learning on driving as well as I am on set up. His fastest lap last race was 8 of 12 lap main

Finished 2nd. Not sure leaders lap time but stayed pretty much same distance behind. Except 2 times out of turn 2 loose cause he hit apex wrong.

If he races at night I would stick with the lower Duro. What kind of race surface in Tx? In Va and Carolinas we have high bite clay with calcium.

Grey Lake bottom clay. They add calcium but not in a while. Most of our races are at night just this race during the day so trying to see what will change since I have little experience.

Our red clay tracks get so hard you can barely push the tip of a pocket knife into it in the main groove. Never raced on grey clay. How hard does it get?

We run flat karts so I would be on a lot softer tire than 53 if my knife went an inch into surface. I know the champs run a slightly harder tire than we do, but 53 is probably too hard for that track.

Back