Pipe Burns!

011C708D-7573-4797-9B34-9A656F5B1A9D.jpeg

Earl makes an awesome heat sleeve that fits on a big Bertha chain guard. Saves my arm on my kart no matter what engine combo. Slack makes an arm brace that bolts to the seat that will support you so your not slumped over the pipe as well

Couple years ago me and a buddy went to a local Friday night race where we heard another track in the area was having a 100 lap clone race the following night. I get up early Saturday and put together 2 clones from parts laying around (knowing the race will start off muddy and slow, power wont really matter. We swap motors and go. What I didnt do was pay attention to the headers I slapped on. About 20 laps in my arm is getting uncomfortable. at forty laps its hurting. Im stubborn and by God I paid to run 100 laps, I am running 100 laps. Im driving with my right hand on top of my helmet to avoid the heat as much as I can, my buddy thinks Im making some sort of strange signals to him. Finished the race and went to pull my jacket off and T shirt and skin comes off too. A kind lady had a first aid kit in their motorhome, cleaned and wrapped it as best as she could. Went to a burn doctor on Monday to find it was burned to the muscle. Took 5 months to heal. My wife even today pointed to the scars and suggested that maybe its time to retire (its not!)

This was me being an idiot picking up a hot engine by the exhaust!

Honestly this could have been a lot worse, we had only been testing firing the engine, so it wasn’t fully up to temp yet.

Goes to show you injuries rarely happen when your being careful and paying attention to what your doing, it’s when you let your guard down stuff like this happens.

Attachments

• 9E694F83-5B6B-4A57-A987-EAA9595C12C0.jpeg
    9E694F83-5B6B-4A57-A987-EAA9595C12C0.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 7
Back