Piston question

ChuckZZ

I want to build a very mild stroked animal or 15 with parts I have laying around. I want it to live a long time. It will be governed around 5200. Has anybody have any input on using a piston (J&E, Wiseco, or Jr Racecar) I am concerned that the small area piston skirts and thin rings will limit longevity. You may ask why I want to build something so silly.....I am going to put it on a snowblower!

If it's just a snowblower I don't see any reason to use a racing piston or a stroker crank. Just put a factory piston in there or whatever you've got that fits. I hope over revving the blower doesn't cause problems. Better check with Tim Allen.

If it's just a snowblower I don't see any reason to use a racing piston or a stroker crank. Just put a factory piston in there or whatever you've got that fits. I hope over revving the blower doesn't cause problems. Better check with Tim Allen.
I want to stroke it because I have the stuff and I feel like trying it.....Naturally if I stroke it I need the racing piston and rod so the piston doesn't doesn't come out of the top of the block. As far as wrecking the blower, and I probably will, I have more then one...

If looking for longevity, hard to beat the factory engineers.
The parts are chosen with that thought in mind.

Most of the things we do for power are a tradeoff with longevity.

The stroker can give a little more torque. And with limited rpm it will live a reasonable amount of time.
A deck extension could make use of complete flatty rotating assembly, or a mix of both, with a 3 ring piston.

Anything is possible.

These engines already have a terrible rod angle -- couple that with a longer stroke, longer rod, and shorter piston, and I don't think you're doing yourself any favors on longevity. The OEM piston has a chrome top that lasts MANY years in racing (LO206) at 6100 rpm. I've got 206s out there that leak down very little and are still competitive with much newer engines.

Love the attitude and ingenuity though!

Similar story: Several years ago I put some used flathead race engine parts in my 1972 Montgomery Wards front tine tiller and that thing dug deep enough to plant potatoes in China! 2 seasons on it before it wore out the transmission/differential gear box. Neighbors (and me) didn't care much for the straight pipe though -- that got taken off after the first spring tilling. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back