Piston Ring Gap orientation

Currently turning a 206 into an animal. When I removed the piston all the gaps were set at the 6 o clock position, This seems odd to me i dont know if I moved them when i removed the piston, they were set like that or they moved over there over the years. its an old seal. from my flat head daay they were set at
top: 3 oclock
Middle: 9 o clock
bottom: 6 o clock.
not sure its the same

What has happend was the cyl bore has worn to a out of round point that when the rings walk over time they get stuck in the highest wear area and can no longer rotate out of the out of round portion of the bore ...think of it like getting stuck in a ditch if that helps LOL.

Personally, i agree with Flattop. I would set them so none of the gaps are in either of the thrust planes.

Personally, i agree with Flattop. I would set them so none of the gaps are in either of the thrust planes.
When i set my ring gaps there always 180 out of each other parrallel with the wrist pin because doing so as the piston rocks in the bore that is where the least amount of ring gap fluctuation can occur as the piston rises and falls... lets just say ring gap stays more consistant .

When i set my ring gaps there always 180 out of each other parrallel with the wrist pin because doing so as the piston rocks in the bore that is where the least amount of ring gap fluctuation can occur as the piston rises and falls... lets just say ring gap stays more consistant .
Agreed - alternate 180* from one another with gaps near the wrist pin @ assembly.
They move plenty once the engine is run and rarely come out in their original locations, especially low tension rings.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back