Piston suggestions

Hey all! Long time reader, first time poster. I have a dual bearing liner block, stock crank, Arc billit stock length rod, billit flywheel, 360 gas carb set up by Jon long time ago and never used. Stock valves with either a Dyno Vortex V or a crane 91010 cam. And the question is what piston should I use?
C0552B95-0A89-401F-A17F-075660F67BB9.jpeg

Hope I’m not being too vague, backyard carting with friends, they running stockish clones and I have these parts I’ve had twenty years. Oh and the block has had the valve area milled flat between the valves and piston . Any advice and opinions welcome.

The piston choice will not be too difficult as long as the
top ring doesn't snag the milled out area and the pin
size is same in rod and piston. Lighter would be better.
Thin rings would be nice.

The piston choice will not be too difficult as long as the
top ring doesn't snag the milled out area and the pin
size is same in rod and piston. Lighter would be better.
Thin rings would be nice.
It’s a very mild clean-off on the deck, not even touching the valve seats. Is there a specific model of piston that you could direct me to? Flatty stuff around here is completely unheard of.

Ha ha ha yea there's always bigger an better ..
.364 isn't all that bad , much simpler too install , longer life and not overly radical .
What bore size ?

We keep TONS of flathead parts in stock - including new pistons and rings.
Any R3 piston will work in your application. I would likely have Wisecos on the shelf as well.
If you want to go lighter on piston, you'll end up going aftermarket, and then you might as well go longer rod at the same time.
If you want to use the parts you have, just give us a call and order the piston in the correct bore size for your cylinder. It will come with rings (stock oem, or low tension.)

Give us a call after Jan 3rd and we can get something coming right out to you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We keep TONS of flathead parts in stock - including new pistons and rings.
Any R3 piston will work in your application. I would likely have Wisecos on the shelf as well.
If you want to go lighter on piston, you'll end up going aftermarket, and then you might as well go longer rod at the same time.
If you want to use the parts you have, just give us a call and order the piston in the correct bore size for your cylinder. It will come with rings (stock oem, or low tension.)

Give us a call after Jan 3rd and we can get something coming right out to you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
That’s great! I will do that in January, havta get off my butt early so I can be ready by June!

One more question for the experts, the block I have has a piece of pipe threaded into the exhaust and blended into the port, don’t know if it was run with it or not. Should I try and remove that or is it some sort of racing class restriction? I will get a pic tonight, thanks in advance

This is done on purpose to make the exhaust port smaller when using stock valve size. This is GOOD! I don't know if you need it as thick as a piece of black pipe, but we often use a piece of aluminum that is threaded into the port to reduce the port volume on the exhaust side.

If you use the smaller cam I think your rod and a Raptor piston would be the way to go. The Vortex is a full blown limited cam it's gonna need to turn way harder than the Crane. The V has 20 degrees more duration so it really could use a long rod and the appropriate piston to get everything out of it.

If you use the smaller cam I think your rod and a Raptor piston would be the way to go. The Vortex is a full blown limited cam it's gonna need to turn way harder than the Crane. The V has 20 degrees more duration so it really could use a long rod and the appropriate piston to get everything out of it.
Not to mention all the additional work in clearancing, valve pocketing the head, etc. Certainly not a plug-n-play part.

Back