Piston suggestions

This is done on purpose to make the exhaust port smaller when using stock valve size. This is GOOD! I don't know if you need it as thick as a piece of black pipe, but we often use a piece of aluminum that is threaded into the port to reduce the port volume on the exhaust side.
C42848B1-F3F1-45AC-BF77-F129C944896F.jpeg

I will absolutely clean everything spotless before it gets assembled. AND I will leave that piece in the port. I really appreciate the expert advice.

If you use the smaller cam I think your rod and a Raptor piston would be the way to go. The Vortex is a full blown limited cam it's gonna need to turn way harder than the Crane. The V has 20 degrees more duration so it really could use a long rod and the appropriate piston to get everything out of it.
Thanks Jon, you don’t remember me but I bought a nice carb from you years ago and am just getting around to build this little fella.

This is done on purpose to make the exhaust port smaller when using stock valve size. This is GOOD! I don't know if you need it as thick as a piece of black pipe, but we often use a piece of aluminum that is threaded into the port to reduce the port volume on the exhaust side.
I will clean everything spic and span before any assembly starts. This is the pipe in the exhaust, doesnt look like it wants to come out anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 6
If you use the smaller cam I think your rod and a Raptor piston would be the way to go. The Vortex is a full blown limited cam it's gonna need to turn way harder than the Crane. The V has 20 degrees more duration so it really could use a long rod and the appropriate piston to get everything out of it.
Thanks Jon, we talked a long time ago and I got a real nice Tilly from you that is gonna be used.

Exhaust reducer is good for the bottom end matched with .880" 3 staged RLV for stockers and even smaller limiteds. Been proven on dyno for yrs and quite cheap/simple to install.

Attachments

• 20211212_102152.jpg
    20211212_102152.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 25
Truckphone, that's awesome. If you decide to go the HP route with the big cam , get B.Carlson to build you a head, you'll only need to clearance the lifter gallery for the big lift cam and the top of the spring gallery just enough to make it flat for the dual wind springs. Always check for rod to cam cl. , that shouldn't need anything. Brian will have everything you need. You do have a billet flywheel right ? If you build a Lim , those stockish clones are gonna be chasing you. Sounds like fun.

Back