Piston to valve clearance help!

karting62

Can anyone help me out with piston valve clearance, I don’t have a dial indicator to measure it. With my head gasket on I put a straight edge across it and measure .0965 to the top of my piston. I am running. .310 lift cam stock length pushrods and champion rockers. Will I have to be concerned with my valves hitting the piston? The head has been shaved .050

Last edited:
Assemble the engine, set lash then add shims between the rocker arm and valve that equal your desired minimum clearance. Turn the engine over slowly. If the valves do not hit the piston you are good. Why don't you have any dial indicators? You can buy cheap Chinese dial indicators for around $10.00. They are only accurate to withen plus or minus .002-.003 but lots of hack engine builders use them and they are probably better then nothing. It irritates the hell out of me to see them used in tech...

Put a small amount of play doh on the face of the piston where the valve may make contact, assemble engine rotate through several cycles. Take apart and slice through play doh, there is your clearance measure the thickness if you need to.

Back