Piston

Is ok to use chrome piston with steel rings on steel bore i look up part number on rings are the same.
52CE3669-FEE0-4405-B23F-EA61B7AC0645.png

I MUCH prefer the chrome pistons, no matter the bore. That coating helps with heat, lack of lubrication, and to ingest dirt/metal contaminants better than raw aluminum.
You can get pistons coated also (depending on your rules.)
Rings are the same on both chromed and unchromed Wiseco pistons.

There are some old stock dykes ("L") ring pistons out there that require the dykes top ring which is different.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have a kool bore stock appearing engine with the L ring piston in it. And the old horstman H beam 4.5

I MUCH prefer the chrome pistons, no matter the bore. That coating helps with heat, lack of lubrication, and to ingest dirt/metal contaminants better than raw aluminum.

There are some old stock dykes ("L") ring pistons out there that require the dykes top ring which is different.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Say we ingest some forgien material . The chrome piston doesn't accept it like an aluminum piston . Isn't it going to score the bore more so then getting embedded in the aluminum one ?
Option 2 it gets washed out easier with less damage .
I know even dirty hands can muddle up the finish on a new piston .

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Where can you get l style rings

Dykes rings . Last set I got from peidmont kart shop . There long gone now .
New old stock is going too take some phone calls .
Total seal might have custom rings ,

Say we ingest some forgien material . The chrome piston doesn't accept it like an aluminum piston . Isn't it going to score the bore more so then getting embedded in the aluminum one ?
Option 2 it gets washed out easier with less damage .
I know even dirty hands can muddle up the finish on a new piston .
That's the thing -- it won't get embedded with the foreign material and continue to scratch up and down the cylinder wall like a bare aluminum piston will. Now, if you are running a chrome piston in an aluminum bore, sure - the softer material will always ingest the material and that's where the damage starts. The chrome piston resists embedding better because of it's harder surface finish. Coupled with a steel sleeve, and it's best of both worlds in my opinion.
I still have a few customers that prefer cool bore (aluminum cylinders) but it's not the direction I prefer.
Coupled with the cost of coating pistons (or finding new/old stock chrome pistons, very few guys are running cool bores any more. It's more practical to have them sleeved with a custom hard steel sleeve ($150 incl. the sleeve, align bore, and finish hone.)

Where can you get l style rings
Very few and far between -- we may have a few sets here, but bore sizes are very limited -- you also have to have your piston cut for using them if you haven't already.
You could try flea bay and facebook groups.
Kart shops that have been around for many years would be your best bet to find them today.
Not surprised that Glenn and Sherry had some lying around before they closed up shop. Good people that are missed for sure.

Back