pk 250

Ok that answers what Nicasil is which I knew it was nickel silicon. But it does not answer any of the other questions I ask. Do you have to replate the cylinder at every refreshening. That would be more expensive than just reboring and putting a new sleeve in after max is reached? What type of rings do you use? I have been told that the Swain coating on the piston will last for several runs and almost completly cuts out piston and cylinder wear. Has anyone tried this combination of coatings , and what were the results? This is extremely interesting , added preformance and cost savings at every refreshening. Think of the savings on pistons. If the nicasil coating last for several refreshings then it could be a cost saver also, just buy one piston and run it until clearence needs adjusting then recoat cylinder and piston.

No you never need to recoat unless you have a bad mishap like a ring sticking. Most minor piston sticks can be cleaned up with some wet/dry paper and a normal hone. The normal stones wont even put the smallest of cross hatch in the bore. The coatings are extremely hard. you need diamond stones to hone the surface. I was just thinking about a swain coated piston the other day on a nikasil bore. Should work well.

Pm me your email, I can send you a tech article from a nasa study when it first came into use.

Except for clear damage, you never have to touch the nic'd liner. I buy a couple of pistons at a time for the ones I deal with.

Back