Planning ahead

racerdad

Next year we our moving to an unrestricted akra clone class, currently running plate predator. Been talking to the tech guy, and he said they don't check cam duration, just lift, carb, springs and combustion cc. Other racers in the class are running mod2 cams.

I've been seeing the mod2 has a legal list but not duration, but says to run 18 pound springs.

Do the legal springs shimmed properly read 10.8 or are the shimmed higher and legal?

What kind of rpm range does the mod2 have, properly set up with the correct springs? I know dyno says 7k+, just seeing if anyone has or does run one, and what rpm they shoot for?

Most clone motors come from engine shops around the country and you can bet if that cam was legal and best performing available they would all be using it.

Its not legal .
If your tech person allows it .
run it .
Shimmed springs will show more pressure at that installed hieght . thus not legal .
the engine will only be legal at that track for an undetermined amount of time .

Been to 2 other tracks in the area, the clone class has Miller or TRJ engines, come to this track, they don't have a a sticker on them.

They been running this class like this for the past 2 years, with no plan on changing. They say it's not getting worse for "cheating".

I guess I'm trying to see if I could run legal springs with the mod2 cam. I don't want to change springs just to run a different track. Or I'm just going to run predator at the other tracks where I won't be legal til I get a legal motor

If you run the mod 2 at the other track it will be illegal . They are probably switching engines .
Yes you could run std springs .

Do you already have the mod2 cam? If so sell it and get a legal cam like the cl3. Nothing worse than your kid getting dq'd because you had a part in the motor that you knew was illegal.

Honestly I don't see us running a lot at the other legal tracks. And they don't tech as much as my regular one. I'd honestly say half or so our running the same set up there as well.

I was more or less wondering if the mod2 was worth it over a cl3 or other legal cam.

Flatttop, your saying I can run 10.8 springs? I know the site says 18 on mod2 but with only extra duration, thought 10.8 would be ok. Guess they suggest 18 because of extra rpm capability?

Thats my thought as well . shimming is simple enough too . Buy the best 10.8 you can .
if the valves float too early can always switch too the 18# .

Back