Plans for a tire resurfacer?

idragit

I want to build my own tire resurfacer ..anyone done this that has the part numbers and or info? I need to know motor hp and pulley sizes..thanks

I have the same question. I have a 1/4 electric motor, but I heard 1/2hp is preferred. I was told that you want a 1:2 ratio on the pulleys for a half HP motor. So if you have a 3in outside diameter pulley on the motor, you want a 6in dia pulley on the axle. I am trying to piece my own together right now.

The only question I have is that my 1/4 hp is rated at 1725 rpm. I cannot remember if the old forum said you want it spinning that high or not. I feel like I saw people on here saying you want about 450 RPM for a resurfacer. Hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in.

seems a little high for rpm. 1750 by 2 is 875. Ive got a 2 /12 on ours. 1/4 hp is also low but if you have it use it.
what you've been told is correct.

tire resurfacer

I have been told that 700-800 rpms is the desired speed. Go on line and look at pulley ratios to get yours down to the rpms you want. I had to use a 10 & 2 in t get mine where I wanted it. Switch is on the top for easy on off.

Try finding a used motor that turns 1950 rpms. Should cost about $25-40. Keep your other parts to 1" it will be cheaper. You'll need a 3/4 driver and a 7" pulley. You can get those and 1" pillow blocks on ebay cheap. BMI has good prices on axles and hubs. Harbor freight is best place to buy s stand.

Try finding a used motor that turns 1950 rpms. Should cost about $25-40. Keep your other parts to 1" it will be cheaper. You'll need a 3/4 driver and a 7" pulley. You can get those and 1" pillow blocks on ebay cheap. BMI has good prices on axles and hubs. Harbor freight is best place to buy s stand.

this is real good information right here...works really good...

I built one using 1x1 square tubing as a frame..welded bearing hangers off an old frame to it..mounted axle cassesttes and half of an old axle..bought a pulley from tractor supply...used a motor off an old broken drill press..it had a pully on it that had 4 different diameter grooves and an adjustable mounting plate..works great..Im going to cover the entire thing in sheet metal next..but works great as it is..txt me for pics..803-236-8088

Back