Plastic Fan

Bonanza

Does anyone have the fan that bolts to the flywheel for an Animal or is that a Briggs item?

Second; the engine was raced with the broken (disintegrated) fan, what would be the result/tell tale sign of a motor that over heated? It runs, no smoke, seems to be good on compression when turning it by hand. Anything particular I should look fro.

Thanks.

I have them. They are $6.00
The thing to be careful of is if the motor over heated.
You may have warped the head if you ran it for an extended period of time but i doubt it.
Mark the head bolts and the block, loosen the head bolts 1/2 turn and re-torque them to 210 inch pounds.
If the one by the exhaust moves past you marks an appreciable amount you may have and issue.
If you want to call i can explain in more detail.

It's a Briggs item.

Only thing that would concern me is what was the cause -- unlikely it melted - more likely a rock or something got stuck in the blower housing and tore up the plastic fins -- also could have been involved in a crash at one point where the shroud was bent in against the plastic fan and tore it up. If it has run very long afterwards, I might get concerned with rod bearings getting beat up due to the possibility of the plastic fan causing a vibration and undesirable out of balance situation...just thinking out loud. Make sure that the coil is still bolted tightly and not draggin on the OD of the flywheel -- When stuff gets caught in the fan, lots of damage can occur. Look it all over very closely.
Any motorsports center will have these in stock.
Give us a call if you don't have someone local to get it from.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank You Jim and Brian.
It's a engine that was on a kart I bought. My daughter has to move up to the big champ for next year.
What I was told is it's a Turner engine with 1 race since freshen-up, I have no reason to doubt that, pulled the plug and top of piston looks new, engraving/etching on top is clearly visible, gaskets look new and so on. I heard it run, sounded great. When I took it off for winter storage I drained the oil and put new in, then I "rolled it" over to get the oil throughout the motor and I hear rattling, engines aint suppose to rattle. So I took the fan shroud off and the blower came out in about 100 pieces along with 2 header bolts. So I'm guessing that 1 race since fresh was without a fan. I also noticed the vent tube was partially melted into the head fins so I pretty sure it got hot. My concern was would ring tension be an issue.
Anyway Thanks again.

Does it have a Turner sticker on it?
If it got so hot it melted the breather hose to the head i'd be nervous about everything.
How does it run?

Still doesn't sound like it melted the fan to me.....The fan doesn't get that hot.

Now, breather hose -- was it rubbing agaisnt the header, or laying right against the head? Those get hot enough to melt most anything. I've melted breather hoses that way by not having the right length hose when we made an engine change at the track. Easy mistake.

The temps inside the blower housing should be nowhere near the temp necessary to melt the plastic fan....something stuck in it, and the heat generated by the friction could easily cause melting. If the actual engine temperature got so hot to melt the fan, I'm thinking that the whole engine is junked -- obviously not the case from what you are describing. If indeed it has run hot, and it has one of the fire ring head gaskets on it, when you pull the head you will find it warped on the gasket surface.

we had a fan come apart ones and we ran the motor with no issues it broke in practice and i figured we drove 2 hours to the track and we were not going to turn around and go home besides we stop all air to the motor with tape anywayes right so we ran it and it never got over 300* and ran good and this was a hot july day so if yours did get hot i woulnd think it got to hot

"So I took the fan shroud off and the blower came out in about 100 pieces along with 2 header bolts. So I'm guessing that 1 race since fresh was without a fan."

You answered your own question. When you took the blower cover off and you found the plastic in a hundred pieces with two header bolts. Sounds like the bolts tore up the plastic. The plastic will easily blow apart if the two bolts that hold it on to the fylwheel are too tight.

Put a new fan on it and see how it performs.
If it runs good and doesn't smoke or do anything else it shouldn't. I'd re-torque the head bolts and run it.

if it had header bolts holding it on that why it broke the fan takes shouldered bolts that wont tighten to the point of stressing the plastic fan . get a new fan and the correct bolts

if it had header bolts holding it on that why it broke the fan takes shouldered bolts that wont tighten to the point of stressing the plastic fan . get a new fan and the correct bolts

You are 100 percent correct but i was thinking that the two header bolts must have been stuck on the magnet of the flywheel and then broke the plastic. I dont think anybody would use header bolts to tighten the plastic instead of the original bolts. But you never know.

Back