Plastic or fiberglass

T-roy

I know this has been asked a billion times, But Im still having conflict with it. It looks to me like fiberglass body absorbs some of the impact where plastic may not. I know its harder to get decals to stick to plastic. I just don't want fiberglass repair to become regular race maint.

I know this has been asked a billion times, But Im still having conflict with it. It looks to me like fiberglass body absorbs some of the impact where plastic may not. I know its harder to get decals to stick to plastic. I just don't want fiberglass repair to become regular race maint.
I prefer Fiberglass . 3 choices.
Its either a hand full of zip tie's , a rivet gun and some number panels .
Fix the glass.
Spend the money.

You might consider a fiberglass nose that you've added more fiberglass to, before you ever mount it. I bought a new fiberglass body, installed it, and sooner or later had a few rather big cracks in it. A friend took the nose, repaired it with a lot more fiberglass inside it to make it thicker, and survived a high speed T-bone crash with NO damage. Some of these fiberglass noses are fairly thin.

If you want tough this is my choice.
3622-Supertuff-Sr.-oval-regular-sides-black-web-e1454702006954.jpg

Made from a very durable, nearly indestructible plastic. The Super Tuff has lived up to its reputation, one hard hit at a time. This is a three piece offset kit.

I would look at your situation at the track or tracks you race at . If it is constantly a crash fest , I would consider the plastic , mostly for it's ability to bounce back after impacts , cost and most are lighter weight than fiberglass . 1 draw back to plastic is summer heat , cheaper bodies have a tendency to sag , so they should be reinforced with brackets . Fiberglass is easier to clean , decals stick better , they are more solid and don't need the extra bracing , and lets face it , they just look cooler . It is all mostly what you prefer .

Have you seen the video for Majestic bodies? The guy runs over it with a truck. I'm gonna check them out, fixed to much glass this past year

We have raced for 5+ years , first four years we used fiberglass , like them , but had to buy new one every year , last year we went plastic , don't have to buy new for next year lol ...

Lot of different opinions here. Seems a toss up. But a lot of good info. We have room for front weight. so we could go the "extra fiberglass in the front" direction. The main reason I haven't gotten plastic is its always a crashfest on these small tracks and the fiberglass seems to absorb a lot. where the plastic will just fold up. I don't have time to race. Its my 10yr old and 12yr old.

We ran the M&M body thru 5yrs of Jr. and it is still usable. My fiberglass body was broken up 3X this year when we switched.

A while back I had a Majestic nose on a wedge bodied kart that seemed indestructible. Actually turned the nose a bit inside out, took it off, let it warm in the sun a while, and presto! it regained its original shape when I popped it back out.

I ended up getting a fiberglass body this time. Itching from just installing it. When they tear these up, I think I will try the plastic for sure.

Back