Plate motor vs unrestricted

Bear Field? 14:63 should put you in the ballpark on gear (or at least it used to) with a blue plate flathead. Turn it 62-6300 rpm with 4-500 rpm scrub running wide open, no lifting, no braking.
I don't know what they are calling the class up there, but blue plate flathead is generally Jr2. Jr1 uses purple plate.
Blue plate champ is called Jr Sportsman champ (flathead and animal.) Jr1 champ or rookie champ.

Your unrestricted flathead flat kart should be on 1 tooth smaller on driver, or 4 teeth bigger on rear gear I am thinking. (13:63-64) and turn 6900 with 800-1000 scrub burping the throttle only on entry.

Bear Field? 14:63 should put you in the ballpark on gear (or at least it used to) with a blue plate flathead. Turn it 62-6300 rpm with 4-500 rpm scrub running wide open, no lifting, no braking.
I don't know what they are calling the class up there, but blue plate flathead is generally Jr2. Jr1 uses purple plate.
Blue plate champ is called Jr Sportsman champ (flathead and animal.) Jr1 champ or rookie champ.

Your unrestricted flathead flat kart should be on 1 tooth smaller on driver, or 4 teeth bigger on rear gear I am thinking. (13:63-64) and turn 6900 with 800-1000 scrub burping the throttle only on entry.
My son runs jr sportsman champ. I will try him on the 14 63 and see where he is at. The setup was really good. Like i said he was catching the lead karts after a bad restart just ran out of laps. With my unrestricted flat head flat kart when we ran a 13 63 last time we fried a engine so my driver put a 14 67 on it and seems to beat his class by at least a straightaway. And yes we are running baer field.

My son runs jr sportsman champ. I will try him on the 14 63 and see where he is at. The setup was really good. Like i said he was catching the lead karts after a bad restart just ran out of laps. With my unrestricted flat head flat kart when we ran a 13 63 last time we fried a engine so my driver put a 14 67 on it and seems to beat his class by at least a straightaway. And yes we are running baer field.
Didn't mean to hit like was trying to reply, Just because he was catching them does not mean your set - up is really good, IF with the info Brian just gave you your rpm is NOT real close your problem is NOT gearing it's set up and tires and until you fix that you'll always chase gearing.
just because you fried an engine had nothing to do with being on a 13 / 63 VS a 14 / 67.

Stop watches never lie. If it's fast on your Mychron, then it's faster on the track -- go with your lap times over what any of us recommend.

Back