PLEASE HELP

joseph mcc

I got a 212 predator in a golf cart and when i move it from start to run, the golf cart takes off. I even took the throttle cable completely off and it still takes off.

Torque converter or centrifugal clutch ?
Can you Turn the idle speed down ?
Small black screw on left top of the carburetor.

it has a torque converter. and i backed the idle screw all the way out. i have no idea how the engine is taking off like that. as soon as i start moving to the run position it tries to go real fast

Stock air filter ? Stock carb ?
The black phenolic spacer cracked ?
Took gaskets off and inspected them ?
Torque converter belt too tight ?

when i spray around the carb it shuts off but i looked at all the gaskets and they look fine

Been a mechanic working on lots of stuff for over 50 years.

When ever you have a tough problem you can't find any other way, you'll need to have it(the problem) IN YOUR HAND to find it. ... :)

I used the same reasoning for my own cancer surgery.
Instead of robotics I chose to have surgeon do it with the skill of his "hands" and experienced eyes, not some machine and a surgeons skill driving the thing.

Trust me many a tough problem is not found until the problem is in your hands right in front of you being inspected.

Did you have the gasket in your hand looking at it or did you look at it installed?
Did you have the carb in your hand looking at it or did you look at it installed?
Did you look at each and every spot you sprayed or did you look at it running from afar?

If you sprayed and the speed changed there IS a leak and you have yet to find it.
If you don't find the leak then at a minimum throw a new gasket at it.

Been a mechanic working on lots of stuff for over 50 years.

When ever you have a tough problem you can't find any other way, you'll need to have it(the problem) IN YOUR HAND to find it. ... :)

I used the same reasoning for my own cancer surgery.
Instead of robotics I chose to have surgeon do it with the skill of his "hands" and experienced eyes, not some machine and a surgeons skill driving the thing.

Trust me many a tough problem is not found until the problem is in your hands right in front of you being inspected.

Did you have the gasket in your hand looking at it or did you look at it installed?
Did you have the carb in your hand looking at it or did you look at it installed?
Did you look at each and every spot you sprayed or did you look at it running from afar?

If you sprayed and the speed changed there IS a leak and you have yet to find it.
If you don't find the leak then at a minimum throw a new gasket at it.
i think i might buy a whole new carb and gasket set.

it has a torque converter. and i backed the idle screw all the way out. i have no idea how the engine is taking off like that. as soon as i start moving to the run position it tries to go real fast
Start moving what too the run position ?
Is the thottle blade closing all the way when you look inside the carb ?
If it dies when you spray wd there must be a leak there or its getting in the air cleaner . Try using the little red tube or even an oil can to find the leak .
Un hook the throttle control rod from the butterfly .
Does it sound like high speed running at idle ?

Does it still have the governer hooked up with that lil spring cable hooked up to it. I got a play kart and the 212 on it had that spring cable messed up or shortened made it want to go as soon as it was started. I deleted the governor and put a top plate throttle hook up on it and it dont do it no more and goes alot faster

Start moving what too the run position ?
Is the thottle blade closing all the way when you look inside the carb ?
If it dies when you spray wd there must be a leak there or its getting in the air cleaner . Try using the little red tube or even an oil can to find the leak .
Un hook the throttle control rod from the butterfly .
Does it sound like high speed running at idle ?
im new to working on these engines so im not really sure what its called but im guessing its the choke. when i move it from start to run it tries to leave super fast. the throttle blade is all the way closed when in start position and when in run its wide open. it sounds a little high at idle

Does it still have the governer hooked up with that lil spring cable hooked up to it. I got a play kart and the 212 on it had that spring cable messed up or shortened made it want to go as soon as it was started. I deleted the governor and put a top plate throttle hook up on it and it dont do it no more and goes alot faster
it does still have the governor hooked up

You have a throttle return spring ?
The choke is the white/gray lever by the fuel shut off .
That appears to be the location of the trouble .

What type throttle control set up .
Hold the throttle butterfly closed with your hand , then open the choke .

You have a throttle return spring ?
The choke is the white/gray lever by the fuel shut off .
That appears to be the location of the trouble .
that lever on mine says start on the left and run on the right. i dont think i have a throttle return spring

Back