Plowing

Hi, my kart plows bad coming into tho turns was wondering if anyone can give me some advice where to to start fixing it? Thanks

Increase rear stagger. (This is my #1 "go-to" for corner entry problems.)
Move the seat forward to gain more nose weight.
Increase caster to increase weight jacking effect.
Get on a good tire program and follow their advice.

Like Earl said, without getting some scale numbers, you'll be going by feel and guessing what makes it better or not.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Accidentally got on the tractor instead of the kart?
(If it's a tractor)
You can adjust the plow on those, on the fly, like NASCAR used to do with trackbar.

I second Stagger, if you dont have access to scales, and if everything else is awesome 👌

Either air pressure or shrink/expand your tires

(If it's a tractor)
You can adjust the plow on those, on the fly, like NASCAR used to do with trackbar.

I second Stagger, if you dont have access to scales, and if everything else is awesome 👌

Either air pressure or shrink/expand your tires
Not stagger, not on entry it's not.

My guess since he didn't say.
Old chassis, with no clue what the setup is.
Seat mounted incorrectly, slid way back for "comfort".
Old tires that are dirty, and little to no prep work.
Backyard track improperly prepared.
Wonder how close I am?

Last edited:
Not stagger, not on entry it's not.

My guess since he didn't say.
Old chassis, with no clue what the setup is.
Seat mounted incorrectly, slid way back for "comfort".
Old tires that are dirty, and little to no prep work.
Backyard track improperly prepared.
Wonder how close I am?
Adjusting front stagger has helped our entry. Rear stagger is more for exit, but thought it would help entry as long as you're not too loose coming out. Anything past that requires help beyond stagger. (having scales, and not moving stuff without them)
I know it depends on a million other things too.

Adjusting front stagger has helped our entry. Rear stagger is more for exit, but thought it would help entry as long as you're not too loose coming out. Anything past that requires help beyond stagger. (having scales, and not moving stuff without them)
I know it depends on a million other things too.
Stagger is only important at 1 place on the track and you missed it twice.
Stagger sets rotation at apex, nothing on or off.
Change of rake, or weight movement helped your entry, not the Stagger change.

Hi, my kart plows bad coming into tho turns was wondering if anyone can give me some advice where to to start fixing it? Thanks
Where to start would depend on steps taken up until you ran it, If kart was not scaled out with you in the seat before raced then that's where you need to start, however if it was scaled out of course confirm everything that you had proper info based on make, model, and year of the chassis, if that seems good then it's more than likely tires are way off. Confirm some details and give more info on the chassis and we can help you more.

Check your caster/camber. It can scale beautifully all it wants, but still wont transfer right when turning. Starting point is 8* caster. 0* camber. If its nowhere near that, all the scaling is meaningless.

Stagger is only important at 1 place on the track and you missed it twice.
Stagger sets rotation at apex, nothing on or off.
Change of rake, or weight movement helped your entry, not the Stagger change.
Stagger changes rake (height) and weight movement. Getting to the apex, requires entering and exiting, both of which are effected, by tire pressure and size, which also determines apex rotation. Didn't miss it fully. You worded it different. Stagger certainly changes the way any vehicle will enter or exit a corner. Certainly.
Without being an expert in physics anyway..

Stagger changes rake (height) and weight movement. Getting to the apex, requires entering and exiting, both of which are effected, by tire pressure and size, which also determines apex rotation. Didn't miss it fully. You worded it different. Stagger certainly changes the way any vehicle will enter or exit a corner. Certainly.
Stagger has nothing to do with entry or exit.
Entry is front end settings.
Apex stagger.
Exit rear end.

Stagger has nothing to do with entry or exit.
Entry is front end settings.
Apex stagger.
Exit rear end.
Are you two going to start up again? :)

A wise man once told me..

Attachments

• 032cc40e-763e-4afb-8206-a7ea96408977_text.gif
    032cc40e-763e-4afb-8206-a7ea96408977_text.gif
    852.2 KB · Views: 23
Increase rear stagger. (This is my #1 "go-to" for corner entry problems.)
Move the seat forward to gain more nose weight.
Increase caster to increase weight jacking effect.
Get on a good tire program and follow their advice.

Like Earl said, without getting some scale numbers, you'll be going by feel and guessing what makes it better or not.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Sorry but why would you raise rear stagger when it’s an entry problem???

General rule of thumb……. Issues going into the corner it’s a front end problem….. exit issue it’s the rear of the kart problem.

Generally if you are good on rear stagger then you need to look at camber/cross for exit…..

However since you are “plowing” generally its main issues.
-not enough front stagger
-not enough nose weight

If you are good in those areas then I shoot for the amount of bite/Duro on the right side tires. If you “think” your tires are on point then check your camber and cross.

I can’t say this enough and it should be your LAST resort NEVER fix a chassis with castor. You will never get to the potential speed the chassis can produce…..

Sorry but why would you raise rear stagger when it’s an entry problem???
Increasing stagger increases the difference in surface speed between the LR and the track.
Increasing it raises the potential for the LR to slip and that in turn reduces forward drive of the kart and from the LR tire.

Reduce forward drive into the corner and it reduces conflict between the fronts and the rears for control of direction.
The hope is reduced forward drive will allow the fronts to have enough grip to turn the thing into the corner eliminating the plowing.

... maybe ????????????? ... :)

Stagger is a fix for a pushing front end. but it is the wrong way to fix the issue. scale the kart get/use a camber gauge and post the numbers and chassis/year. everyone will be speculating until we can identify the root of the cause. blindly following random advice may make it worse. if you don't have the tools seek out a kart shop or fellow racer willing to help you out.
Good luck

we also need to know if you are lifting or trail breaking in the corner. it makes a huge difference in how the kart transfers weight front to rear and vice versa.

Back