Plowing

Stagger is a fix for a pushing front end. but it is the wrong way to fix the issue.
The original poster was and is asking for something to try.
... it's something to try and we have yet to hear again from the original poster which makes it tough to help much which all everyone is trying to do.

if your rear end is to tight then lowering cross is what to do as long as everything else is right (and no one mentioned it). Like I stated all these suggestions are shots in the dark without numbers. it could be the front end is TOO heavy where Adding weight/ moving seat is the exact opposite of what to do and a waste of time and effort.

Increasing stagger increases the difference in surface speed between the LR and the track.
Increasing it raises the potential for the LR to slip and that in turn reduces forward drive of the kart and from the LR tire.

Reduce forward drive into the corner and it reduces conflict between the fronts and the rears for control of direction.
The hope is reduced forward drive will allow the fronts to have enough grip to turn the thing into the corner eliminating the plowing.

... maybe ????????????? ... :)
Though I agree a fix can be to increase stagger and I tried to explain my understanding of the why it can help fix it ...

My "Rule Number One" reads if at all possible you NEVER fix an on track problem by reducing grip.

On track problems need fixed by increasing grip which will also allow for the application of more hp and/or momentum in the problem area.

Stagger has nothing to do with entry or exit.
Entry is front end settings.
Apex stagger.
Exit rear end.
Totally disagree with you, Jamie.
Put the wrong stagger on your kart and I can guarantee that you will have problems with entry or exit.
#1, we don't even know what the OP has for a chassis, tires, numbers, etc. Is he trying to run 1/2" stagger on an 1/8 mile track? Won't work -- I don't care what you do to the front end, it's going to "plow" on entry.

Sorry but why would you raise rear stagger when it’s an entry problem???

General rule of thumb……. Issues going into the corner it’s a front end problem….. exit issue it’s the rear of the kart problem.

Generally if you are good on rear stagger then you need to look at camber/cross for exit…..

However since you are “plowing” generally its main issues.
-not enough front stagger
-not enough nose weight

If you are good in those areas then I shoot for the amount of bite/Duro on the right side tires. If you “think” your tires are on point then check your camber and cross.

I can’t say this enough and it should be your LAST resort NEVER fix a chassis with castor. You will never get to the potential speed the chassis can produce…..
For the same reason I posted to Jamie above.
We have no idea if the OP is even close on stagger.
Stagger will help the car rotate, and if the car is already too tight at entry, it'll affect the rest of the corner. Increasing rear stagger will also decrease cross (which may, or may not, be an issue.)
Fix the entry problem, then address the rest of the corner.

Apex stagger.
Apex is about being able to roll on the RF and RR, as in insert arc. ... :)
You use stagger to help balance the situation on the RF and RR.
Makes no sense at all to expect to use stagger, which is at it's minimum function because centripetal force has done it's thing removing weight from the left side, for anything except a support roll.

Totally disagree with you, Jamie.
Put the wrong stagger on your kart and I can guarantee that you will have problems with entry or exit.
#1, we don't even know what the OP has for a chassis, tires, numbers, etc. Is he trying to run 1/2" stagger on an 1/8 mile track? Won't work -- I don't care what you do to the front end, it's going to "plow" on entry.
Sorry Brian, if I have an entry problem the first thing I do is change stagger said no one.

Straight out of the Book .
Go Kart Racing -Chassis Set up.
IMG_20230117_105330780.jpg

Straight out of the Book .
Go Kart Racing -Chassis Set up.
View attachment 26571
Front or rear stagger?
We are discussing front stagger on entry.
I know you just like to post to keep your post count up
Where's the push?
Center off I agree.1
Doesn't say entry?
Way down the list?
Read the thread I posted.
I guess all those guys are wrong too?
What a joke this site has become.

Last edited:
And the cold hard facts about front stagger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118-054836_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118-054836_Chrome.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 50
Phantom Lemon Works Karts
I'm referring to the Phantom karts that are complained about all the time and wasn't on even recalled?

I had the pleasure of discussing my how stuff needs to be used and why verses his "How stuff works", with Todd a couple of different years at Kartfest with Harrold listening in the background. Todd was always right and I was always wrong. ... :)

I'm referring to the Phantom karts that are complained about all the time and wasn't on even recalled?

I had the pleasure of discussing my how stuff needs to be used and why verses his "How stuff works" with Todd a couple of different years at Kartfest with Harrold listening in the background. Todd was always right and I was always wrong. ... :)
Yeah but According to several dolts on this page Todd, Mike McCarty and Mr Mercer are all wrong.......
Go figure
No Todd was with Phantom in the early years up until the Phenom time frame.

Mr Mercer , Mr South 59 .... absolutely not wrong
Mike McCarty, not wrong but a smart grab everyone else's ideas and thoughts and put them down in writing as if they were yours's exclusively.
Todd ... not wrong and never forget his, "If you want to go faster make more bite".

Me? Proly wrong on most things butt what keeps me going is having many top nationally known crew chiefs tell me, believe it or not(NOT ... :) ), In these exact words of "Your 100% correct".

Me? Proly wrong on most things butt what keeps me going is having many top nationally known crew chiefs tell me, believe it or not(NOT ... :) ), In these exact words of "Your 100% correct".
How much stagger on the front of a sprint car?

Sorry Brian, if I have an entry problem the first thing I do is change stagger said no one.
I just said it. Am I no one? I am talking about REAR stagger, Jamie. I never mentioned front stagger. For the most part, I set it at 1 1/2" front and leave it alone (as most chassis mfg'ers recommend as well.) In my previous posts, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I made reference to changes in rear stagger.

Back