points drops ?

Do you have to attend the race in order to count as a drop in most cases? I raced 16 out of 16 and my closest competitor ran 15 out of 16. I dont understand how a 0 can be a drop if he decided to go elsewhere. Just trying to get outside opinion.
Example If it's a 16 race schedule and everyone is forced to drop 2 It's up to the racer to show up to all races or skip 2, your pointing out he didn't drop anything however what your missing is the races missed he didn't gain anything either, now SOME tracks give a certain amount of bonus points for perfect attendance. But read post number 18 It's that simple.

Do you have to attend the race in order to count as a drop in most cases? I raced 16 out of 16 and my closest competitor ran 15 out of 16. I dont understand how a 0 can be a drop if he decided to go elsewhere. Just trying to get outside opinion.

it’s not so much about 1 or 2 drops, as it is about ur top finishes is “x” # of races...say best 6 of 8

points championships should be about winning, not an attendance award! Having drops helps keep the focus on winning, trying to have consistent top finishes, & encourages participation through out entire series.
I have seen bonus points awarded to those that run “all” races, which rewards those that don’t miss a race, but that too can take the focus away from winning.

I'll sum it up. People do have lives outside of racing and it is unreasonable for a track to expect you to be there every week no matter what. I tried to get my local track to institute a process for 1 or 2 drops but they refused; Either too greedy (short sighted) or too lazy to figure it out (likely).
Then I got pretty sick and absolutely could not race one week. That cost me any chance I had at winning the points championship.
If mom dies am I supposed to skip the funeral for a kart race? Really?
Next year if I have to miss a race I will spend my Saturdays travelling to other tracks.

I'll sum it up. People do have lives outside of racing and it is unreasonable for a track to expect you to be there every week no matter what. I tried to get my local track to institute a process for 1 or 2 drops but they refused; Either too greedy (short sighted) or too lazy to figure it out (likely).
Then I got pretty sick and absolutely could not race one week. That cost me any chance I had at winning the points championship.
If mom dies am I supposed to skip the funeral for a kart race? Really?
Next year if I have to miss a race I will spend my Saturdays travelling to other tracks.
Exactly what made me put it in place years back ( which I think I was the first to do so in our area ) had a racer leading the points his girlfriend pulled in had to tell him his mom just passed away, he had to pack up and leave and it cost him a championship, plus another good reason for it kids are in split families son is leading the points mom wants him to go to the shore miss racing, kid wants the championship it puts them in a bad position, with points drops all good everyone happy.

When I had my track I only raced three a month. No holiday racing so people could go to other tracks if they wanted or simply go on vacation. The worst finish was a drop and if you were a no show it didn't count as a drop.

We got into a deal at a track this summer where when I got let go from my job we had to miss a race due to finances. While the track has 2 drop weeks (out of 24), they have 2 weeks that you are not allowed to drop and that happened to be the one we missed. When I got a new job, making races on a Friday night that far away became hard and we just quit going. The other thing that really screws people up is double/triple points races. If you only get 1 or 2 drops and you miss a double point night, you are done.

The schedule we really liked this year was Red Rock. It was something like 12 races, spread out like 2 or 3 a month where you could have a life outside racing. Then they partnered with another track that race the other weekends, so if you wanted to race both for points you could. They also had some combo events where your 2 race point total resulted in money. Was a real nice setup.

Pretty much every track I've raced at has offered 1 or 2 drops per season. As mentioned above some series offer drops, but then offer a point bonus if you compete in all the scheduled races. Drops allow for weekends away, family travel or just a bad night at the track. As JP mentioned above, the outcome will be based on the performance, not the participation.

Back