Pop

Yes those H- beams are tough . Almost makes you want too reuse them .
I have not saw one that wasn't massaged for clearnce .
I have a std length one thats been lightened by Jerry Gould .

It's tough to weld cast, let alone make it last. Your weld, no doubt, was much better/stronger than the cast crank itself.
I had an open flathead big bore block break right at the bottom of the cylinder (back in the old thin block days.) Looked similar to yours in the end. It's fun building (and running) these old school beasts, but not so fun when they decide to come apart. :)
Sorry for your loss.
I'm sure you are already planning your next build though. :)

It's tough to weld cast, let alone make it last. Your weld, no doubt, was much better/stronger than the cast crank itself.
I had an open flathead big bore block break right at the bottom of the cylinder (back in the old thin block days.) Looked similar to yours in the end. It's fun building (and running) these old school beasts, but not so fun when they decide to come apart. :)
Sorry for your loss.
I'm sure you are already planning your next build though. :)
Yes, already planning. I’m trying to make up my mind. I’m definitely building another stroker, this time with an ARC crank. I’m trying to decide if I want to build a model 15, a 3” Tillotson, or another flathead. The flathead will be cheaper since I already have all the external stuff but I’m running against stroker animals.

Yes, already planning. I’m trying to make up my mind. I’m definitely building another stroker, this time with an ARC crank. I’m trying to decide if I want to build a model 15, a 3” Tillotson, or another flathead. The flathead will be cheaper since I already have all the external stuff but I’m running against stroker animals.
The are not many rules in your class, but it states that it must be either a flathead or animal engine. No model 15 blocks.

680FDC5C-535E-4C19-BEEA-EB001CFB0D13.jpeg

We use the term "sawed it in 1/2" all the time..... but after seeing this I feel like we were only toying with the idea.

Dang.....good job, Brother. It sounds like you all could make a mild Engine last forever, hey? Dang 5hp Blocks and Cranks are all nice and seasoned, correct?

Back