Popping on Deceleration - Another Newbie Question

The one thing that sucks about the popping is, it lets your competitors know when you lift and stomp..... ;-)

compression test and look for any signs of heat leakage (black soot or what looks like flame cutting) around the header gasket area will tell that....but if it's a valve leaking, then your going to know it by the performance of the engine. any leakage at all and your performance will suffer.

If you let it idle for more than a minute the plug tends to foul. If I do sit for more than 30 seconds I goose the throttle.

If the engine performing well they are going to pop when you let off. We always changed valve timing and would they ever snap out at some points of the track, it was impressive during a night race.

Rookies would only stick behind you the once.

the only time I felt that the pooping was more than a nuisance was when the header studs pulled out (cracked around one of the bolt holes) and I lost the header on the front stretch...having the "pop" hit you in the arm isn't my idea of fun! got this warm and fuzzy feeling...someone from the stands came down to the our pits later and said that the flame was about two foot long coming up out of the hole!!! holy rat rod batman!!

Back