Powder coating removal?

Fortunate Son

What is the best way to remove old powdercoating? The reason I ask is I'm trying to remove it by sandblasting and it's coming off really hard. Is there a better way?

Subscribed. I'm curious if any others have had experience with the aircraft paint remover. I plan to strip our karts down this winter and have new powder coat applied, but I've read about too many negative effects to the metal from sand/media blasting. I've used the aircraft paint remover a few times on painted items and it literally melted the paint away. For those that have used it on powder coated surfaces (chassis,etc...) how much elbow grease is still required to get all of it off, especially around weld joints and hard to reach areas?

Subscribed. I'm curious if any others have had experience with the aircraft paint remover. I plan to strip our karts down this winter and have new powder coat applied, but I've read about too many negative effects to the metal from sand/media blasting. I've used the aircraft paint remover a few times on painted items and it literally melted the paint away. For those that have used it on powder coated surfaces (chassis,etc...) how much elbow grease is still required to get all of it off, especially around weld joints and hard to reach areas?
I did mine with the aircraft stuff in the spray cans it worked the dog doo out of me but it works and alot cheaper than the sandblaster

I always had use the aircraft stripper , but on powdercoated never have used it . I would called a local powdercoater and ask for their advice and then get prices for them to spray new color on it. They will inform you the right way to remove the paint. I know when you get a bumper on classis cars recoated they always dip the bumper in acid to get it down to bare metal before coating chrome

you don't ever want to use a sand blaster either...this distempers the metal and causes it to weaken and not react the same...best was is find someone that does races cars...they normally use crushed walnut shells or plastic BBs...it wont hurt the metal at all if done properly this way...any type of sand will leave pits even at low air pressure...then have it re powder coated...

120 grit flap disc on an angle grinder, use it very lightly and it will take it right down to the bare metal. be careful around the welds or joints, the flap disc will eat right thru steel if you apply too much pressure while using it

i used aircraft stripper that you brush on. its like a paste. put it on, wait a half hour or so and use a metal scraper on the bigger areas and then pressure wash it off. it worked real good, but i had to do it 3 times. when i was done i used a right angle air tool with the soft scotch brite pads around the welds and it came off very nicely. then i used it lightly over the entire chassis to give it that look like you see on the mechanic tv shows. the reason you ask? i had it powder coated a translucent raspberry color. it turned out wicked! especially against a black body and chrome heims!

Had my Excentrik stripped locally for $50.00. They used crushed glass for the media and the frame came out really nice. If the blasting affected the frame, I sure can't tell it....it's as fast as it ever was.

I always take a wire wheel cup on a 4 1/2" grinder take off a small line all around the top of the frame just so the zip strip can get under the powder coating easier. Then apply zip strip or aircraft stipper wait about 45 mins then go out and wire wheel the rest off. Comes off with ease and the wire wheel doesn't do any damage to the tubing. Plus you can get into all of the welds so the new coating has a good surface to adhere to. Ends up looking like a new frame just off the jig.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies and advice. I found a guy close by to strip it with crushed walnut shells, a little more expensive but would not ruin the integrity of the chromemoly tubing. So once again I thank everyone for their replies.

Strange too.... If blasting is sooooo bad for a frame, why would my 40 year old vintage twin enduro that I've sand blasted bare a half a dozen times since new, not had ANY issues whatsoever? Sometimes I feel folks jump on a bandwagon that theorizes a bit too deep.

Strange too.... If blasting is sooooo bad for a frame, why would my 40 year old vintage twin enduro that I've sand blasted bare a half a dozen times since new, not had ANY issues whatsoever? Sometimes I feel folks jump on a bandwagon that theorizes a bit too deep.

Me too, don't think sand blasting will hurt the frame anymore than rolling around corners at 60-70 MPH with a good biting set-up.

Back