Powerstroke diesel problem

Renegade

I am having a problem with my 96 F350 powerstroke diesel. The thing runs great until the check engine light comes on and then it acts like it has a rev limiter on it. The light goes out after a few seconds and the truck runs great. It has done it a couple times under power but most of the time it happens when I let off the gas. I just let it coast for 10 to 20 seconds, the light goes out and away we go. No codes that I can find, it's driving me nuts, any ideas?

When the light goes on, it goes into a limp mode, you will lose power as you can see. Try to get the codes pulled from the pcm to see what the problem is. Silly question, have you checked the oil? If those run low on oil it will shut down the injectors..good luck.

my did this the uvch was shorted. the injection wires get weak also check them form bare spots.
under valve cover harness.

Best thing to do is check codes and get back to use. I assume there are many mechanics on this forum. I am a Heavy equipment mechanic and will be glad to help ya. Get the code number and what it says and post the info.

the problem is the cam sensor it is going bad,it regulates fuel and tells it when to fire,it will leave you stranded when it quits.Like a tps on a fuel injection car

yes you need to find out what code it is setting could be a # of things that could be causing your problem. ipr, icp, cam sensor, dirty or low oil, or wrong oil it needs anti foaming oil, just to name a few.

Well I believe I have it fixed. Had just put in a new alternator and replaced the 12 year old batteries. Buddy said to recheck the battery cables and one was a little loose. Tightened it up and problem solved. I would have never believed a loose battery cable would throw it into limp mode.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had already tried most of them that's why I was stumped.

7.3 has no limp mode on the engine. Low oil wont throw a CEL. I'd have pulled the codes though. Sounds like a uvch to me as well. It will throw a light and run just as you described. It causes the idm to get funky signals and cause voltage swings. Hope it was the batteries though, if not the above is where I would go.

Also if you don't have a spare ford cam position sensor in the glove box, get one. They will pretty well work or are dead. Easy to change and will shut the truck down right now when they quit.

yep a bad alternator or bad batteries can cause this problem if voltage gets too low to keep electrical systems powered up. my 7.3 has 260,000 on it now and i also carry a cam position sensor and 10mm wrench in the glove box. been there done that, just shuts off.

Back