PRC APC Front Hub Maintenance. (Ceramic Bearings)

This is the my first time doing maintenance on his hub since the little guy got dirt inside it. I can't find instructions on how to disassemble this hub, nor to what degree it should be disassembled?

I took the snap ring off, used a pick the remove the outer dust shield, but these bearings do not seem like they have any intention of coming out. I didn't want to start hammering on stuff without knowing better.

The LF outer bearing popped right out, the inner bearing seems like its will need some motivation.

But the RF doesn't even seem like it wants to come out the hub at all.

I'm surprised PRC doesn't have instructions on this like they do other things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-073222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-073222_Gallery.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210725-073239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-073239_Gallery.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 34
Those are pressed in, flush them out with the solvent of your choice just as they are and re-lube and reinstall

Those are pressed in, flush them out with the solvent of your choice just as they are and re-lube and reinstall
So further investigation revealed these do come out. They were just a little stuck with dirt. A little motivation with a hammer and they came right out. Same with putting them back in.
I guess some are pressed in and others are not.

So further investigation revealed these do come out. They were just a little stuck with dirt. A little motivation with a hammer and they came right out. Same with putting them back in.
I guess some are pressed in and others are not.
Be VERY careful hitting a ceramic ball bearing with a hammer. Bad things happen.
I would warm the hub in a toaster oven as the aluminum will expand quicker than the bearing. They should fall out, or at least be easier to remove.
Be careful not to overheat though as the ball separator is usually nylon or some sort of plastic.

They should be a slip fit in the hub....which requires good maintenance.
A little lube on the OD of the bearing will help it in the future.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Be VERY careful hitting a ceramic ball bearing with a hammer. Bad things happen.
I would warm the hub in a toaster oven as the aluminum will expand quicker than the bearing. They should fall out, or at least be easier to remove.
Be careful not to overheat though as the ball separator is usually nylon or some sort of plastic.

They should be a slip fit in the hub....which requires good maintenance.
A little lube on the OD of the bearing will help it in the future.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I used the handle of a HF screwdriver on the bearing side, soft rubber.
But thanks, I’ll keep your advice in mind.

Back