Pre-determining head?

Mac_49

Is it possible without taking the motor out of the box to find out which head is on it?
I just don't want to ask the store to open up every box just to see if they have a certain head I'm looking for to work with lol

Doesn't matter HEMI vs Non-HEMI to me

Here's a fun little question...

I know the HEMI's are preferred but if there is a Non-HEMI with the new RT's that flow better vs a HEMI with an older head,is there a benefit to still be had somewhere by still using the HEMI or would it be better to get the Non with the better flowing head?

Mind you, heads won't be changed out...whatever head comes on the motor is what stays on it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be "that guy" inspecting every dang box with a flashlight haha.....alright then I can give that a shot.

If you can not look through the hand hole to verify what the box says.o r shows.
No one will be able to help.
should be a hemi
Cast aluminum valve cover.
Non hemi tin valve cover.

If you can not look through the hand hole to verify what the box says.o r shows.
No one will be able to help.
should be a hemi
Cast aluminum valve cover.
Non hemi tin valve cover.

Hey flattop1, I know the difference in them so we're good there. I've built a few predators but don't have access to the machines that measure flow and all the fancy stuff.
That's why I'm reaching out to those that do extensive research to help identify whether a non-hemi with the newer heads (maybe a RTC-6, 8 or 9) would be a better choice over the HEMI with an older head.

In short, would a non-hemi with a RTC-8 be a better choice of motor to build vs a HEMI with an older head? Or would the HEMI still have the advantage? I hope that makes sense lol

look through the hand hold hole in the box

I guess I didn't give enough info on this lol...I know the differences on HEMI vs. Non, what I meant to ask was can you see or is there a way to find out what engraving is on the head without pulling it out of the box....ie, RTC-6, 8 or 9. <-- Can you see those markings from the hand holes?

I don't think so. Unless the box was torn.
A modified engine?
Thought the rtc 9 was on the latest engines, haven't bought one recently so unsure.
If you search rtc- 6 you may find what you want . Think the hemi for all stock and non for modified.
Shoot the one I did is 2 years old and has not been fired yet.

If flow is what your after, the newest non hemi predators with rtc-8 and rtc-9 heads have a better flowing head than the hemi predators do. Just ask the store employee which is the latest shipment of engines and choose a non hemi from that stack, 9 times out of 10 it will have the latest head on it, which is the rtc-9 unless something newer has came out recently. You wont see a difference in the rtc-8 and rtc-9 heads, both have nice fairly smooth ports, 5mm valve stems with automotive style retainers and 3 angle valve seats

Dang did I miss something here. Are the new non hemi heads now the way to go?
Just curious because I'm going to be racing stock predator class next year........if there is any power difference at all I need to jump on that haha.

Some still prefer the hemi, mainly because of the flat top piston in my opinion, but the newer non hemi engines have been coming with the piston closer to the deck than they were before, and the heads on those engines flow alot better than a stock hemi head does. Best case scenario for a pure stock class is to mix and match parts if there is no rule against it, meaning use a new hemi bottom end, with a new non hemi head, pushrods, head gasket and carburetor, and the non hemi airbox if you want the best bang for your buck pure stock engine you can get....add a cam, good 10.8 springs, small pipe, rejet carb and increase the timing and you have a nice 12+hp box stock predator

Back