Pre Race Wipe

My guess is trying to get instantaneous tire bite/grip...it would seem logical that prepped then dried tires might take a little more time to build up some heat to "fire" the prep and with most kart races with open tire/prepping allowed, you give up a couple tenths and you're done...

i was once told it was so the stuff you pick up from the grid and entrance road will slide off tire with ease insteof sticking to tire, and then adterethat first caution, your tire will be ready to rock, thats if you have prepped it right before hand!🤣

Insanity wet track recommends it. Supposed to build heat to help the tires fire off.
This is why I scrub. I feel it helps not only "clean" the tire, but also build that first little bit of heat to help what I have actually in the tire fire quicker. I don't know if that works scientifically, but it does make me feel better :ROFLMAO:

Why wet though? Wouldn't it just scrub off quick not being soaked in? Just trying to understand more.
Can't speak for other preps, but our PRW (Monster Bite) really needs to be wet on the grid.
If it is allowed to dry into the tire, it will soften the tire in duro.
Like most harsh preps that are used as PRW (goat, green, etc) Once they dry into a tire, they soften very quickly.
If you want the bite without softening, then go with them wet -- that's a big reason that you see guys using these preps wet on the grid.

Now, if you want to add bite AND drop the duro quickly, that's when you see guys hot boxing, heat gun, and torching harsh preps in before going to the grid.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Can't speak for other preps, but our PRW (Monster Bite) really needs to be wet on the grid.
If it is allowed to dry into the tire, it will soften the tire in duro.
Like most harsh preps that are used as PRW (goat, green, etc) Once they dry into a tire, they soften very quickly.
If you want the bite without softening, then go with them wet -- that's a big reason that you see guys using these preps wet on the grid.

Now, if you want to add bite AND drop the duro quickly, that's when you see guys hot boxing, heat gun, and torching harsh preps in before going to the grid.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Makes sense less or more time to work into the tire

In my opinion the only time it is acceptable with a Maxxis to go to the grid wet is when the surface is wet. If you try to go wet when the track is dry you will likely slide .

Burris is the only tire where you will see guys painting tires in the grid and setting the kart straight down and going out. That is typically done because they want that initial fire from the prep but do not want it to have time to penetrate.

In my opinion the only time it is acceptable with a Maxxis to go to the grid wet is when the surface is wet. If you try to go wet when the track is dry you will likely slide .

Burris is the only tire where you will see guys painting tires in the grid and setting the kart straight down and going out. That is typically done because they want that initial fire from the prep but do not want it to have time to penetrate.
Not arguing, just stating an observation from my local track. Everyone who is fast rolls out wet, if your tires are dry, you will drop back quickly. Doesn't matter tire brand that I've noticed. Dry tires= to the back, wet tires= speed.

I understand there are other variables here, but this is my experience.

The tracks I race at in the Iowa and Mo area go out with tires wet also. I think the difference is Midwest dirt versus SE clay. A good track here would be considered an off track there. We are on Maxxis 99% of the time.

If the track appears to have moisture sitting on top of the surface especially in cooler months I sit my kart down with tires wet. I’ve had better luck doing that vs not doing it. It’s all personal preference and your gonna get different opinions. If I can get away with torching on the grid I’ll do that too lol

When our track is dry and marbly late in the season once temp and track surface temp drops
550DDEFB-B84D-4919-BBD2-302C62BC1C43.jpeg
but is taking aggressive prep and has a good prep line I’m going out on a 50s tire with a wipe of goat and acro 50/50! It works like a champ there.

When I sold Krug everyone compared it to goat, honestly in my experience I’ve had terrible luck dropping duro with it lol. I’ve wiped 6 coats on between races with heat, come home resurface and tires are where they were when I left. That’s for 11s racing. I’m assuming I burn that layer of tire off racing? I like to go out dry myself unless it’s a sloppy mess, give a quick scrub or two to make sure she hooks up, I’ve over saturated tires before and took half a race to get them to hook up

Back